What's the best duster?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am getting tired of using damp paper towels to clean the dust off my (black) furniture.

I have a duster similar to this, and it came with my vacuum (has a port where the vacuum would suck the dust right off, nice feature...), but all it does is push the dust around and kicks up the fur.. it does not pick up:

Since spring is here.. means more fur, and allergens and pollen in the apartment which equals to a clogged head and stuffy nose!

Has anyone found the best duster? or the best method of dusting? Share!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lambswool dusters are great, the natural oils in them hang on to the dust.

Odd though that yours doesn't hold dust, static dusters are usually pretty good.

Is there no static charge left to it?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard lambswool is really good- However with my conviction of zero animal products, I would never be able to try one.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fair enough

I have heard that used dryer sheets work pretty well, but I've never tried them, so no clue if that's true or not.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a fan of the swiffer dusters for some things.  I use cloth diapers a lot too though.  I have a bunch that I used as burp rags with my DD.  I never use furniture polish; but I'll use a damp cloth on occasion too.  Like to clean the blinds.  I like the swiffer for cleaning the ceiling fans and air returns that are hard to reach otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
There might be no static on this thing.. how do I recharge it? I will have to look at the lambswool

Dryer sheets, really? I can try those.. I did just do some laundry, lol

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To recharge a static duster, just clean and dry it really well, then run it back and forth on your tv screen with the tv on.

Never tried this on my flatscreen, so not sure if it'll work on those.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few methods but I feel the best is microfiber. The 2nd best is felt.

I own both felt (long reach by Unger (also comes in mini)) and microfiber (cloths). The Unger long reach is actually for dusting under and behind your refrigerator but I like to use it on the floor too.  (realsimple.com says you can use the Unger mini  for your keyboard (in between the keys) and the Unger long reach for under the bed)

Here's a picture of the Unger felt duster (mini) http://www.thefind.com/search?query=unger+felt+duster Not sure why it says $43.00
'cos that's wrong. It's more like $4.50 (each) (for both mini and long reach)

Both microfiber and felt can be de-pet-haired with duct tape (either before you wash them or after they're dried)

Speaking of baby wipes, I've used something similar to baby wipes for home dusting- They're called Wet Ones and they're for adult hands. Then when the area's dry I vacuum.

Draco: The one you have pictured in your post of isn't my cup of tea. I had one a long time ago and didn't like it. Up 'til recently I also used woodshop tack cloths for dusting (They're for sawdust, actually). The downside is they need to be purchased in bulk to be affordable. Also, I got a strange feeling I was the only non-woodsmith in the world using tack cloths for home dusting ---  made me feel "strange".

Last edited:

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am getting tired of using damp paper towels to clean the dust off my (black) furniture.

I have a duster similar to this, and it came with my vacuum (has a port where the vacuum would suck the dust right off, nice feature...), but all it does is push the dust around and kicks up the fur.. it does not pick up:

Since spring is here.. means more fur, and allergens and pollen in the apartment which equals to a clogged head and stuffy nose!

Has anyone found the best duster? or the best method of dusting? Share!
ok this is gunna sound nut's but trust me it works a treat get a normal flffy duster tie a cloth around it and spray the cloth with furniture polish it picks up all the dust and hair and makes your cupboards look great all in one fowl stoke lol we use that method at work I'm a cleaner and it really dose the job

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The best duster is a housekeeper. ;)

Microfiber cloths work the best. Dryer sheets are good but I don't like that they are disposable, leave chemicals on my furniture. I don't use them for my clothes as they leave a residue. Also a good air filter will help too.

emmapeel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's just flat out silly to use anything for dusting other than a lambswool duster.  a REAL lambswool duster.  easily available and vegan-friendly.  if it's cruel to cut hair, then it's cruel to use a lambswool duster.  clean once a month in a TINY bit of dishwashing liquid and warm water.  rinse well, let dry.  spray a tiny bit of pam on your hand and rub into the dry duster.  fluff out by brushing with an old hairbrush.  first, one way then the other way.  voila.  you'll never use anything else.

Last edited: