What's something cool that you made for your cat instead of buying it?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cuddly Calico, you're really talented!

I like making things out of clay, here are a few things I've made for my cats.

Food and water bowl for my calico girl The Mu.

The water bowl has an aqua blue glaze inside.

The food bowl has her portrait on the back.

This is the water bowl that I leave outside for whoever needs a drink.

It holds about a litre of water.

I really miss doing pottery, I haven't had a studio for the past couple of years but I'm working on it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food and water bowl for my calico girl The Mu.

The water bowl has an aqua blue glaze inside.

The food bowl has her portrait on the back.

This is the water bowl that I leave outside for whoever needs a drink.

It holds about a litre of water.

I really miss doing pottery, I haven't had a studio for the past couple of years but I'm working on it.

Absolutely beautiful!!  Hopefully you can get back into the studio and make more.  I love the big outdoor blue bowl!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wheel throwing is so fun. I've been taking classes at school.I love the little decals you did! What kind of glaze did you use for those colors?

malt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is a cat tree I made for my cats. It's 5 feet tall, very sturdy, and they have a lot of fun with it! It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it does the job nicely. It has 2 carpeted scartching posts and 1 bare wood scratching post, 2 boxes to hide in, scratching carpet and fake grass on the base, 2 carpeted levels and a cat hammock. They often sleep in the hammock together and it holds fine, although it's really only big enough for one cat! There's also a half-platform on the top of that top box so they can go inside it and climb on top of it from there. 

The dorks sleeping in the hammock together. 

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sweet cat tree, I love the hammock! I may have to borrow that idea.

malt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Sweet cat tree, I love the hammock! I may have to borrow that idea.
Thanks! It's not really much of a hammock - it's a square wooden frame with a double layer of blanket attached, a lot of give in the blanket so they can sit right down in it. I have it attached to the posts on either side of it with string so it only moves slightly, rather than swinging (I thought it might alarm them if it moved too much). It was pretty easy to make, and the cats really enjoy it. By far the most-used part of the cat tree. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wheel throwing is so fun. I've been taking classes at school.I love the little decals you did! What kind of glaze did you use for those colors?
Wheel throwing is great isn't it? Good for toning up your arms too.

The food and water bowls were made from a white stone-wear body. I scratched the cat picture in when they were leather hard, bisque fired to 1260 degrees C, glazed them with a tin-white glaze. After the glaze firing I coloured them with some low firing enamels and did a third firing at around 750 degrees C. These were all fired in an electric kiln, but my real passion is reduction firing in a gas kiln.

One day I'm going to build my own kiln.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That cardboard tube thing is so cool! I'm going to do that, maybe it'll keep my boycat busy for a little while. 

Last edited:

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen so many great ideas! Keep adding more! Everyone's ideas deserve to be seen :)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well it took me a month, but inspired by Draco Draco I saved my cardboard rolls and made a super awesome cat toy out of them! Mine is particularly cool because of all the classy duct tape. :)

They were unsure at first, but Wiggies got into it eventually. It keeps him busy for a while trying to scoop out the treats.

Pushkin pretty much just sits there and watches. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, classy but functional! I tried this too - with hot glue. Kismet tore it all apart within a few days. I saved up some more toilet paper rolls so I'm gonna give it another shot on my next day off.

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was a cool thread. I'm just going to continue it since it works. Does anyone have any ideas for making a cat tree? Has anyone made their own that I can see?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Well it took me a month, but inspired by Draco Draco I saved my cardboard rolls and made a super awesome cat toy out of them! Mine is particularly cool because of all the classy duct tape. :)

They were unsure at first, but Wiggies got into it eventually. It keeps him busy for a while trying to scoop out the treats.

Pushkin pretty much just sits there and watches. :rolleyes:

I just saw this.. how awesome!!

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is why I started this thread. I'm so happy that people are using ideas and learning :)

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@pushylady great job! I'm glad you like someone's idea and used it!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love the 2 homemade feeders.  I wanted to get the real thing - http://aikiou.com/stimulo-cat-bowls-and-feeders/ - but with shipping would be close to $50 so, instead I tried to make my own a while back, but scotch tape and a flat piece of cardboard didn't last long!
  I'll have to try a variation of either of these two.  Will post a pic once I accumulate some paper rolls and figure something out.

wanja

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow I love your litter box idea! I am definitely going to try this as well because my kitty’s love to scratch all the crystals out of the box for some reason.
and that tree hous is so awsome can only imagine my 2 kittens on it.
we also made a scratcing pole thing, will post a pic later today.