What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I had people look at me differently
I'm sure you have and I'm sure they did but I'm happy to hear you are being treated as WHO you are by your boyfriend and the members of the church you're attending and not WHAT they are looking at..... there's alot of ignorance out there,they've got issues ,not you❤I think you're pretty terrific!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had people look at me differently
there's alot of ignorance out there
Their minds are not only closed, but deadbolted and boarded up.
There is a lyric from one of my favorite MUSE songs:
and no one
thinks they are to blame
why can't we see
that when we bleed we bleed the same

Words to live by

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a bug murderer....I detest bugs and love my 5 predators that keep tye house bug free.I say" get the bugs" and they go hunting along the baseboards

Here in Florida we have prehistoric "bugs" giant Teradactyl cockroaches ( palmetto bugs) that freak me out.... part of why I love lizards and Iguana that eat them and the giant size crickets we have here
Just before my senior year of high school I (the very cool person that I am) attended the annual Nation Junior Classical League convention in Tallahassee. In August. We were not prepared for the weather or the bugs.:running: One girl spent the entire time worrying about the roaches. Our latin teacher told us to leave our suitcases and shoes in our garage when we got home to be sure we didn’t bring any home. I’m happy to say we did not!

I’m pretty sure those are the main things keeping me from moving south too. I don’t care for that much heat and humidity. Or the hurricanes. But bugs and lizards can stay down there please!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Tarantula Hawk just landed on me. Fortunately, I know to be very still until it flies away.
Why can't I have something nice for a change? A lightning bug would be nice...but nooo, I get Traantula Hawks, Centipedes, Scorpions and rattlesnakes.

Well, I did choose to not move from Arizona. - Still want lightning bugs though.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a bug murderer....I detest bugs and love my 5 predators that keep tye house bug free.I say" get the bugs" and they go hunting along the baseboards

Here in Florida we have prehistoric "bugs" giant Teradactyl cockroaches ( palmetto bugs) that freak me out.... part of why I love lizards and Iguana that eat them and the giant size crickets we have here
I used to have to go to Miami regularly for business meeting and they had us stay in some beautiful hotels. But even those had palmetto bugs and every morning the lobby always smelled like bug spray.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A Tarantula Hawk just landed on me.
I had to Google but thank you for giving me reason number 875 to never move to Arizona or a similar climate. :lol: One of my good friends moved out there a few years ago and her SO works for one of the parks or something like that. They spend a lot of time "in nature" with her boys camping and things. And I'm like....nope nope nope.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to Google but thank you for giving me reason number 875 to never move to Arizona or a similar climate. :lol: One of my good friends moved out there a few years ago and her SO works for one of the parks or something like that. They spend a lot of time "in nature" with her boys camping and things. And I'm like....nope nope nope.
If you really want to know what they're like watch Coyote Peterson (Brave Wilderness) on Youtube and watch what happens when one stings you. They say if you get stung, the only thing to do is to strap yourself down so you don't hurt anyone (after you can move again) and scream.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Just before my senior year of high school I (the very cool person that I am) attended the annual Nation Junior Classical League convention in Tallahassee. In August. We were not prepared for the weather or the bugs.:running: One girl spent the entire time worrying about the roaches. Our latin teacher told us to leave our suitcases and shoes in our garage when we got home to be sure we didn’t bring any home. I’m happy to say we did not!

I’m pretty sure those are the main things keeping me from moving south too. I don’t care for that much heat and humidity. Or the hurricanes. But bugs and lizards can stay down there please!
When I moved to South Florida hurricanes were few & far between ,it has been many many years since a significant storm made landfall here- the people here had become very complacent ,you could drive along the coast and see the ocean on one side and all the little pink and pastel cement block one story homes with beautiful awning shutters scattered along the other side of the road.Parrots everywhere and beautiful tropical foliage- I fell in love with Florida

Every year you'd see less and less beach from A1A because high rise Condos were going up to spoil the view,the parrots left- they kept building & building....& then Hurricaine Andrew hit and everyone remembered what hurricaine season means-South Florida was devastates,Miami was practically gone..... did anyone learn anything?Nope,skyscrapers & Condos went up,2 & 3 story homes etc....

Everything I fell in love with is gone,this is not what brought me here-it's NY only with super sized hurricanes and no winter- soon there'll be no room for the bugs or we'll all be underwater anyway😪

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved to South Florida hurricanes were few & far between ,it has been many many years since a significant storm made landfall here- the people here had become very complacent ,you could drive along the coast and see the ocean on one side and all the little pink and pastel cement block one story homes with beautiful awning shutters scattered along the other side of the road.Parrots everywhere and beautiful tropical foliage- I fell in love with Florida

Every year you'd see less and less beach from A1A because high rise Condos were going up to spoil the view,the parrots left- they kept building & building....& then Hurricaine Andrew hit and everyone remembered what hurricaine season means-South Florida was devastates,Miami was practically gone..... did anyone learn anything?Nope,skyscrapers & Condos went up,2 & 3 story homes etc....

Everything I fell in love with is gone,this is not what brought me here-it's NY only with super sized hurricanes and no winter- soon there'll be no room for the bugs or we'll all be underwater anyway😪
My mom was born in the Everglades. She barely talks about it and refuses to ever go back. I personally wouldn't mind going for a visit, if for no other reason than to see and meet our people, but I don't see that happening.
Also, I'm sure it is very pretty and wouldn't mind seeing the wildlife.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom was born in the Everglades. She barely talks about it and refuses to ever go back. I personally wouldn't mind going for a visit, if for no other reason than to see and meet our people, but I don't see that happening.
Also, I'm sure it is very pretty and wouldn't mind seeing the wildlife.
I'm sure you'd be glad you did-the Everglades are an amazing place to see- even the mangroves,pretty awesome that basically a"swamp" is teeming with so much "life"....

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay. I sign up for a lot of freebies online. Most of the time, they are a WASTE of time. But lately I've had some mysterious stuff show up in the mail. Pool cleaner, even though I have no pool. I want one, so perhaps this is a mind reading site?

Last week, it was a full-sized bottle of ketchup and a huge refill container of liquid hand soap. I wondered if I am supposed to review these items, but I have no idea who is sending them. Also, if a product is for review, it's usually something new and possibly disgusting, like barbeque flavored ketchup. These were regular items that have been around for years. The same ketchup I already had in my fridge. I was happy to get it, just can't figure out the how or why. Whoever is sending, I hope they continue.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I sign up for a lot of freebies online. Most of the time, they are a WASTE of time. But lately I've had some mysterious stuff show up in the mail. Pool cleaner, even though I have no pool. I want one, so perhaps this is a mind reading site?

Last week, it was a full-sized bottle of ketchup and a huge refill container of liquid hand soap. I wondered if I am supposed to review these items, but I have no idea who is sending them. Also, if a product is for review, it's usually something new and possibly disgusting, like barbeque flavored ketchup. These were regular items that have been around for years. The same ketchup I already had in my fridge. I was happy to get it, just can't figure out the how or why. Whoever is sending, I hope they continue.
By freebies online do you mean through manufacturer websites? Just curious,I'm told alot of the "get free" sponsered ads are really just phishing scams-is that true?Apparently some are not since you get ketchup n stuff in the mail,I'd love to get things like that mailed to my address,treats n presents👍Keep em coming!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you really want to know what they're like watch Coyote Peterson (Brave Wilderness) on Youtube and watch what happens when one stings you. They say if you get stung, the only thing to do is to strap yourself down so you don't hurt anyone (after you can move again) and scream.
I’ll take your word for it. :lol:

My husband’s grandmother was born and raised near West Palm Beach. Her parents were basically pioneers settling the land when they arrived planning to grow “fancy citrus fruit” she said. She remembered sitting on the kitchen table because the house had flooded in a hurricane. Her memory was almost too sharp at 99 when she died. My FIL was also raised in that area and their childhood home was demolished for the airport’s construction. The Florida of her childhood couldn’t be more different than that of her late years. They retired in another state to be close to FIL but she was still so passionate about the history of that area. She liked to correct articles that had information wrong. :lol:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you'd be glad you did-the Everglades are an amazing place to see- even the mangroves,pretty awesome that basically a"swamp" is teeming with so much "life"....
I would like to go (in the winter). I only know a few words in the language and I know my mom's given name before she was given a 'white' name and forced to use it. And I do know what clan, but that's about it.
It's sad that I have to learn of my ancestors/heritage from the internet.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By freebies online do you mean through manufacturer websites? Just curious,I'm told alot of the "get free" sponsered ads are really just phishing scams-is that true?Apparently some are not since you get ketchup n stuff in the mail,I'd love to get things like that mailed to my address,treats n presents👍Keep em coming!
I have signed up at manufacturer websites, but I don't remember Heinz Ketchup in particular. I think a lot of things I sign up for are either phishing or a manufacturer who runs out of items fast, because I have never once gotten a free t-shirt or mug. I used to get a lot of print magazines which I love for free, but those are hard to find these days.

On the subject of the Everglades, I didn't actually live there, but I did live near the Flint River in Georgia (Albany, near the Florida line). It is basically a swamp. I loved fishing there with my dad, among the alligators, the water moccasins, and the big snapping turtles with yellow stripes on their heads. What a wonderous place! I did not like living in Georgia and one reason was the heat. It only snowed once while I was there, and the town literally shut down. Everyone was so excited, especially me. It was only about an inch of snow, but what a rare treat. (I am not trying to offend anyone in Georgia, I am just more of a cold weather person and cannot adapt.) The bugs that bothered us the most were to roaches, especially the flying ones. It seemed that nobody was immune, even if they lived in a big fine house. They would have roaches at least occasionally. Back then, we had paper grocery bags, and roaches would lay eggs on them. I have seen them in NC, but not often enough to worry about. We have our share of "bad bugs" like the ones with a thousand legs and spiders. Ticks are worse here, too, but maybe because I live in a wooded area.

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First day back as principal went good today.Only had one student sent to my office,a tenth grader for being rude in class.Belched out loud,gave her a warning,was her first time

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to go (in the winter). I only know a few words in the language and I know my mom's given name before she was given a 'white' name and forced to use it. And I do know what clan, but that's about it.
It's sad that I have to learn of my ancestors/heritage from the internet.
Seminole?When I would listen to my Grandparents talk about when they came to America and were signed in at Ellis Island( Statue of Liberty) and how they got their names shortened because the Americans could not spell the Italian names - eg:Franco maybe for Frangipani( something like thst) ..I'd imagine it was very disrespectul,dehumanizing

It's pretty Incredible what all of our ancestors went through years back,we take everything for granted these days

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seminole?When I would listen to my Grandparents talk about when they came to America and were signed in at Ellis Island( Statue of Liberty) and how they got their names shortened because the Americans could not spell the Italian names - eg:Franco maybe for Frangipani( something like thst) ..I'd imagine it was very disrespectul,dehumanizing

It's pretty Incredible what all of our ancestors went through years back,we take everything for granted these days
Miccosukee Seminole...yes. But only half

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Totally agree. Between the grasshoppers, locust and baby toads I feel like I'm in Egypt during Biblical times.
Speaking of BibIicaI...there's a Ieprosy outbreak in FIorida!

Do you get much now in North Carolina?
Not here, I'm on the coast. The mountain region, does, though.

Here in Florida we have prehistoric "bugs" giant Teradactyl cockroaches ( palmetto bugs) that freak me out
Yep, yep, yep...I grew up on the Northwest GuIf Coast. And someone wouId inevitabIy say, "It's JUST a paImetto bug!" And I'd think, "NO, it is a giant honking **** ROACH with a good PR team!"

always such a surprise to me how a pinch of coffee grounds added into a sphagettie sauce works. in regards to preventing heart burn
Sugar does the same thing. Just a pinch. NeutraIizes the acidity from the tomatoes. I actuaIIy throw two squares of a Hershy bar into my sauce. NeutraIzes the acidity, and adds a kind of dark, smokey, subtIe fIavor, not Iike a candy bar at aII.

She liked to correct articles that had information wrong. :lol:
That reminds me of a Iecture I attended quite some time ago (nearIy 50 years now), about...Something in Germany in WWII. The professor was pontificating, and an eIderIy woman piped up, "That's just wrong! THIS is what happened!" The professor drew himseIf up to his fuII height, and said, "Madam, pIease cite your sources!" And she repIied, "ME. I was there, I Iived through it."

Status
Not open for further replies.