What’s my cat eye and coat color?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaizyMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m still not sure what color his coat is. He doesn’t look jet black or gray (imo). I have 2 pics of him, one indoors and one outdoors. It looks like his fur is brownish?? I wonder if he has an underlying condition that causes his fur to lose pigment (maybe he has black fur but for some reason it’s brown now?) or is his fur color normal..

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Might be an extremely dark blue, but looks more like unsound black to me. May or may not improve with age as the adult coat grows in. Brown is a common effect of sunbleaching in black cats. Unsound coat cat be caused by poor diet, but unlikely if your kitten is eating a nutritionally complete (all life stages or kitten) food of good quality. Sometimes kittens have unsound coats that resolve as they age.
Do you know what the colours of his parents/grandparents are? You should also have his colour listed on the pedigree paperwork the breeder gave you.

DaizyMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Might be an extremely dark blue, but looks more like unsound black to me. May or may not improve with age as the adult coat grows in. Brown is a common effect of sunbleaching in black cats. Unsound coat cat be caused by poor diet, but unlikely if your kitten is eating a nutritionally complete (all life stages or kitten) food of good quality. Sometimes kittens have unsound coats that resolve as they age.
Do you know what the colours of his parents/grandparents are? You should also have his colour listed on the pedigree paperwork the breeder gave you.
I have photos of his family here. The person whom I adopted my kitten from treats him badly, that’s why I offered to take him. His grandma is gray, grandpa is calico, dad is black, mom is silver I think.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m still not sure what color his coat is. He doesn’t look jet black or gray (imo). I have 2 pics of him, one indoors and one outdoors. It looks like his fur is brownish?? I wonder if he has an underlying condition that causes his fur to lose pigment (maybe he has black fur but for some reason it’s brown now?) or is his fur color normal..
What a cutie 😻 I would say his eyes look copper in those first two pics and he is black but like others said unsound coat or some other cause. In the other pics his eyes look more yellow. But their eyes can change in different lights and photos. Are you sure the grandpa is the calico? It is rare to have a male calico who is also able to breed. Thanks for saving him❤

DaizyMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a cutie 😻 I would say his eyes look copper in those first two pics and he is black but like others said unsound coat or some other cause. In the other pics his eyes look more yellow. But their eyes can change in different lights and photos. Are you sure the grandpa is the calico? It is rare to have a male calico who is also able to breed. Thanks for saving him❤
This is his grandpa.

Attachments

DaizyMae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unlikely. The cat is calico and nearly 100% of calicos are female. Male calicos are nearly 100% infertile.
Maybe you got the grandparents mixed up?
Probably. I just got the information from my kitten’s previous owner… but yeah, based on his family tree, Idk what his coat color is bc all of them have different colors… I think he probably suffers from unsound black coat.