What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yesterday we had a power outage from about 5:30pm until about 9:15pm, so i couldn't make the scrambled eggs with sausage that i had planned (electric stove). after the power came back on, i did eat cold cooked sausage crumbles and some yogurt with homemade granola.

tonight i'll have the scrambled eggs with sausage.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

Mmmm...I miss a good egg salad.  Ice cold is awesome in this summer heat.  I miss good authentic German potato salad too.  I used to have a good recipe somewhere.

I think tonight I'll make some Velveeta queso (using white cheese and hot Rotel) and use that instead of mexi-mayo for my veggie soft tacos.  Really craving queso lately.
Peaches: here's recipe for Genuine German potato salad, real easy: use Klondike potatoes or any other yellow, thin skinned potato, score the potatoes around their waist, put in cold water, boil until a fork goes right through them but don't cook them until they are mush, put in cold water and the skins will slip right off. Drain and set aside until they are cool, then slice them directly into serving bowl. Chop one onion, put on top of potatoes.Take one envelope of Ranch Dressing mix (any brand), put in cruet or smallish jar with lid. Add 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar and 1/2 cup olive oil, shake well. Pour on top of potatoes and onions, you will probably not need to use the whole amount unless you are making enough to feed an army, just save it for other salads. VERY gently toss the potatoes and onions. Let stand for several hours or overnight in fridge, covered with lid or plastic wrap. When ready to serve toss GENTLY once more and enjoy. I use the ready-made mix for ease instead of assembling it all from scratch.

Some people put crumbled bacon or ham in there too and you can also add quartered cucumber slices and decorate with tomato quarters and sliced hard boiled eggs for a complete meal or you can serve wieners with it, boiled or from the grill. NEVER put mayonnaise or mustard  into a German potato salad which is always better the next day.  

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had the remaining two burgers (from when Rick made burgers the other night) and a nice salad tonight for dinner.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Trying a new marinade recipe for grilled chicken breasts tonight. The marinade has olive oil, soy sauce, spicy mustard, garlic, lemon juice, and pepper, I think that's it. It's to be used with boneless breasts, but I thawed two nice bone-in breasts and then skewered the breasts with holes. Must go home at lunch today and throw the breasts into the marinade for tonight (because I got busy this morning and forgot to do it before I came to work). We're having the grilled breasts with smashed potatoes.that I'm going to wrap in foil and finish on the grill. 

Leftover chicken will be used for chicken fajitas for dinner some night next week. Poor Rick....he's not overly fond of chicken. But we're having it tonight. And then Saturday is the church's annual chicken BBQ dinner, so we'll be having chicken on Saturday, too. 

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Trying a new marinade recipe for grilled chicken breasts tonight...........
Hmmmmmmm.................I'd like to read your review of this one......and, the nitty-gritties of the recipie !

I'll stay tuned !

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to bbq hamburgers and a hot dog for Aimee. We are starting to move stuff to our new house tonight so I want something quick and easy.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
potato salad that i made earlier today, and a slice of zucchini nut cake. it's been a long and tiring day for me, so i'm lucky i feel like eating anything at all at this late hour.

we had a serious storm pass through a couple evenings ago. my immediate area missed most of the downed trees, but we had some downed limbs from trees. today i hauled a tree limb over to my house from across the street and got it as much into kindling and firewood as i could without bringing out my smallish electric chainsaw. then a neighbor who lives maybe a 1/4 mile away asked me if i wanted the firewood from the felled tree at her house, also felled by the storm. i'll be hauling the whole tree worth of firewood back to my house on monday and tuesday of next week. i can always use more firewood and don't mind hauling and trimming as long as i have the equipment to do it. i offered to rake the lady's yard for her to get the tree debris up after i get all the wood hauled away. no charge for that, as i sometimes do things to help people when i'm able to. she's got company coming on wednesday, so raking the yard will get it back to looking nice for when her company is there.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow... well, firewood is a bonus!

I made vegetarian chicken flavoured spaghettini with meatless balls and vegetables plus some cream cheese to make it a bit creamier. Leftovers from lunch.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Grilled pizza. Will be starting on some dough balls for the freezer in about an hour or so, so I'll keep a ball in the fridge for tonight. 

With caramelized onions,  sauteed green peppers and mushrooms, and some browned bulk sausage....Rick's favorite pizza.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh wow... well, firewood is a bonus!

I made vegetarian chicken flavoured spaghettini with meatless balls and vegetables plus some cream cheese to make it a bit creamier. Leftovers from lunch.
yes, i can always use more firewood. i heat my house primarily with wood/wood burning stove during the winters, so i'm always happy to have more firewood. i've currently got next winters firewood (seasoned) as well as the wood for the winter after that (in the process of seasoning) stacked beside my driveway. probably between 24 and 26 face cords. and i'll be trimming down several stacks of too long and too thick pieces of firewood later this summer, so probably have at least another face cord or so there.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Hmmmmmmm.................I'd like to read your review of this one......and, the nitty-gritties of the recipie !

I'll stay tuned !
The chicken was quite good! I'll be using that marinade again. It kept the chicken juicy on the grill, not dried out at all. You can also find the recipe here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238294/marinades-rubs-gravies#post_3590426

PRETTY CHICKEN MARINADE

2/3 cup olive oil

2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce

1/4 cup lemon juice

2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring

2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

2 teaspoons garlic powder

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, liquid smoke, mustard, pepper, and garlic powder. Place chicken in the bowl, and coat with the marinade. Cover, and allow chicken to marinate a maximum of 4 hours in the refrigerator.

Preheat the grill for high heat.

Oil grill grate. Discard marinade, and place chicken on grate. Cook 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until juices run clear.

Note:   I made the full amount of marinade, but then put not quite a 1/2 cup of the marinade in a covered bowl in the fridge. I used that to baste the chicken.  I used two bone-in breasts and they were fine. Grilled a total of about 45 minutes on a gas grill, turning every ten minutes or so. I turned all burners to high and then oiled the middle burner. Used indirect heat, with the middle burner off and the two side burners on medium heat. Then I turned a side burner to low and put the chicken on the side burner for a few minutes, to crisp the skin a bit.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[quote name="Tammat" url="/270094/whats-for-dinner/1320#post_3589347"]Grilled chicken breast, roast potato, roast pumpkin, carrots and broccoli.[/quote]

Can I come and live with you please?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peaches: here's recipe for Genuine German potato salad, real easy: use Klondike potatoes or any other yellow, thin skinned potato, score the potatoes around their waist, put in cold water, boil until a fork goes right through them but don't cook them until they are mush, put in cold water and the skins will slip right off. Drain and set aside until they are cool, then slice them directly into serving bowl. Chop one onion, put on top of potatoes.Take one envelope of Ranch Dressing mix (any brand), put in cruet or smallish jar with lid. Add 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar and 1/2 cup olive oil, shake well. Pour on top of potatoes and onions, you will probably not need to use the whole amount unless you are making enough to feed an army, just save it for other salads. VERY gently toss the potatoes and onions. Let stand for several hours or overnight in fridge, covered with lid or plastic wrap. When ready to serve toss GENTLY once more and enjoy. I use the ready-made mix for ease instead of assembling it all from scratch.
Some people put crumbled bacon or ham in there too and you can also add quartered cucumber slices and decorate with tomato quarters and sliced hard boiled eggs for a complete meal or you can serve wieners with it, boiled or from the grill. NEVER put mayonnaise or mustard  into a German potato salad which is always better the next day.  
Peaches: here's recipe for Genuine

@ Segekatt. I can't get ranch dressing. Is there an alternative?

German potato salad, real easy: use Klondike potatoes or any other yellow, thin skinned potato, score the potatoes around their waist, put in cold water, boil until a fork goes right through them but don't cook them until they are mush, put in cold water and the skins will slip right off. Drain and set aside until they are cool, then slice them directly into serving bowl. Chop one onion, put on top of potatoes.Take one envelope of Ranch Dressing mix (any brand), put in cruet or smallish jar with lid. Add 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar and 1/2 cup olive oil, shake well. Pour on top of potatoes and onions, you will probably not need to use the whole amount unless you are making enough to feed an army, just save it for other salads. VERY gently toss the potatoes and onions. Let stand for several hours or overnight in fridge, covered with lid or plastic wrap. When ready to serve toss GENTLY once more and enjoy. I use the ready-made mix for ease instead of assembling it all from scratch.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
potato salad that i made earlier today, and a slice of zucchini nut cake. it's been a long and tiring day for me, so i'm lucky i feel like eating anything at all at this late hour.

we had a serious storm pass through a couple evenings ago. my immediate area missed most of the downed trees, but we had some downed limbs from trees. today i hauled a tree limb over to my house from across the street and got it as much into kindling and firewood as i could without bringing out my smallish electric chainsaw. then a neighbor who lives maybe a 1/4 mile away asked me if i wanted the firewood from the felled tree at her house, also felled by the storm. i'll be hauling the whole tree worth of firewood back to my house on monday and tuesday of next week. i can always use more firewood and don't mind hauling and trimming as long as i have the equipment to do it. i offered to rake the lady's yard for her to get the tree debris up after i get all the wood hauled away. no charge for that, as i sometimes do things to help people when i'm able to. she's got company coming on wednesday, so raking the yard will get it back to looking nice for when her company is there.
What a kind person you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.