What's For Dinner? - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's Obrien potatoes lizzie lizzie ? Never heard of that

Also,,I keep forgetting to ask who the cute really funny looking russet CAT is( lol) in your Avatar pic?
He is my 17 yr. old doxie Otter.Back then he was a young fella,but he has always loved his kitties and has had a "harem",and they love him right back.Thanx for asking.O'Brien potatoes are "fried" potatoes cooked with onions and green peppers.I don't peel my potatoes,cut them in half,cover with cold water and simmer til just about tender,drain them and let cool.Use as much chopped onion and pepper as you like...we like quite a bit.Put them in a skillet with some olive oil (around here they use bacon grease) and when they're half tender,cut up the potatoes and add to the skillet.By the time they're all tender and hot,you'll see some browning,which is what you want,and that's it.They are done and delish!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I forgot to post about some of my fun meals this weekend. Saturday lunch I shared a veggie omelet & sweet potato wedges with mom from a diner. For dinner my brother made vegetarian calzones.

Sunday for lunch my brother, mom, and mom's roommate went to that same diner. I had pumpkin spice french toast! Yum! Also shared sweet potato wedges with her roommate. For dinner my brother made me a vegetarian stromoboli!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I needed to finish up my carton of eggs so made a fried egg sandwich and topped it with veggies. It made me think of my mom since she used to make fried egg sandwiches for us when we were kids.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
He is my 17 yr. old doxie Otter.Back then he was a young fella,but he has always loved his kitties and has had a "harem",and they love him right back.Thanx for asking.O'Brien potatoes are "fried" potatoes cooked with onions and green peppers.I don't peel my potatoes,cut them in half,cover with cold water and simmer til just about tender,drain them and let cool.Use as much chopped onion and pepper as you like...we like quite a bit.Put them in a skillet with some olive oil (around here they use bacon grease) and when they're half tender,cut up the potatoes and add to the skillet.By the time they're all tender and hot,you'll see some browning,which is what you want,and that's it.They are done and delish!
He is darling with his harem.... just too cute!

I love cooking in bacon grease!And thanks for the Obrien recipe,I'm actually par boiling a few potatoes right now after reading your post -I've got a bell pepper ,some onion and can't wait to have some--all the nutrients are in the skin,I never peel em except for mashed! Yum!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
O'Brien potatoes are "fried" potatoes cooked with onions and green peppers.
HUH! Been making that forever, and never knew what it was called! THANK YOU!

I love cooking in bacon grease!
So do I! Tech tip...get a special plastic ice cube tray, just for bacon grease. When you make bacon, pour the drippings off into the tray until full. Keep in the freezer. When the tray is full, pop them out, place in a zip lock bag, and store in the freezer. That way, you ALWAYS have bacon drippings on hand for cooking! The only downside is that you no longer have an excuse to cook and eat bacon when a recipe calls for drippings!

Tonight, I'll have waffles for lunch (Hek wants syrup), and a chicken pot pie for dinner.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
HUH! Been making that forever, and never knew what it was called! THANK YOU!

So do I! Tech tip...get a special plastic ice cube tray, just for bacon grease. When you make bacon, pour the drippings off into the tray until full. Keep in the freezer. When the tray is full, pop them out, place in a zip lock bag, and store in the freezer. That way, you ALWAYS have bacon drippings on hand for cooking! The only downside is that you no longer have an excuse to cook and eat bacon when a recipe calls for drippings!

Tonight, I'll have waffles for lunch (Hek wants syrup), and a chicken pot pie for dinner.
Brilliant tip- you're better than " Hints from Heloise "( showing my age) You have such great ideas all the time- thank you

I had pancakes this mornjng( only becsuse I love the maple syrup ) - Sami licked the plate,I told you they should date,Sami & Hek

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
He is darling with his harem.... just too cute!

I love cooking in bacon grease!And thanks for the Obrien recipe,I'm actually par boiling a few potatoes right now after reading your post -I've got a bell pepper ,some onion and can't wait to have some--all the nutrients are in the skin,I never peel em except for mashed! Yum!
This O'Brien potatoes sounds similar to what I grew up on.. and I thought it was a Polish type of potato, or a kind of Depression thing.
I love it..
I peel and slice potatoes into around 1/8 inch slices, or a tiny bit larger, but not 1/4 inch. I put a tiny bit of oil in a non stick frying pan. Stovetop is on low heat. I cover the bottom of the frying pan with the potatoes; trying to keep one layer or 2.. I put a cover on the fry pan. Cook low and slow, flipping the potatoes over periodically, until they are soft, with a touch of browning.. or crunch. Then, I turn up the heat and add either one or two eggs, scrambled.. Keep flipping, until egg is cooked and the potatoes are at the stage I want.
You can add onions, sliced peppers, what ever...
I usually call it a Polish Frittata!!

It is really easy, kind of different...
My mom used to make it without the egg, to accompany some pan friend steak!! With the egg, it is a meal in itself! One of my favorite quick meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.