What's for dinner? - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took a small pork roast from the freezer this morning. I'm thinking of pork, apples and chunked butternut squash. Maybe with some dried cranberries? I'll have to see what I can come up with. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I took a small pork roast from the freezer this morning. I'm thinking of pork, apples and chunked butternut squash. Maybe with some dried cranberries? I'll have to see what I can come up with. 
Put another plate on the table! Company's comin'!  LOL  That sounds SO good!  A classic Fall 'comfort' dinner.

(oh yea, I'll need directions to your house! LOL)

I am hoping to have grilled chicken breast, garlic potatoes, and Parmesan asparagus

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a restaurant with my sister. I had the business lunch which entitled me to two starters.
I had 1. Beetroot in yoghurt and 2. A very spicy, garlicy eggplant roasted and scraped out of the skin. Both were delicious.
Then I had a whole fish and chips. Not bad apart from the bones.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Put another plate on the table! Company's comin'!  LOL  That sounds SO good!  A classic Fall 'comfort' dinner.

(oh yea, I'll need directions to your house! LOL)

I am hoping to have grilled chicken breast, garlic potatoes, and Parmesan asparagus
It was so good!! 

Definitely a keeper!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Meatloaf with ground beef....the other week I used turkey and Rick really doesn't care for turkey meatloaf. I'm thinking of splitting a twice-baked potato with him and maybe some green beans with red peppers and garlic.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken, rice, potatoes and carrots. The rice was dry so I put some teriyaki sauce on before I put it into the microwave. It was jolly nice.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vegetarian chili I brought at BJ's already made. It was so hot I could barely eat it. I don't know why they have to make something real spicy just because it's vegetarian. I did not enjoy it and won't buy it anymore. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Vegetarian chili I brought at BJ's already made. It was so hot I could barely eat it. I don't know why they have to make something real spicy just because it's vegetarian. I did not enjoy it and won't buy it anymore. 
It's possible they made it spicy because it's chili. Or maybe just to give it some flavor? You could ask if they have a milder version if you don't like it spicy.

I'm not a vegetarian and I have always been curious... how can they call it chili if it has no meat? Meat is the main ingredient in chili. To me, it sounds more like just a spicy vegetable soup. I'm not trying to be snarky... I'd just like to know.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a small rump roast with mashed potatoes and homemade mushroom gravy, with some glazed baby carrots. 

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom makes homemade chili and it's never spicy. She does add some heat to it but not a lot because I can't tolerate spicy food. They shouldn't make chili spicy IMO for people who can't handle the spice. Chili is good and shouldn't be super spicy where it's inedible. But that's my opinion because I am sensitive to spicy food.

We're having porkchops, butter noodles & green beans tonight.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doing breakfast for dinner. Starting with a salad, having boiled broccoli with my breakfast sandwich - made with a 2 egg omelet with mushrooms and cheddar cheese, jalapeno spam and 1 slice Russian rye bread.  Apple and yogurt for a dessert.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I'm not a vegetarian and I have always been curious... how can they call it chili if it has no meat? Meat is the main ingredient in chili. To me, it sounds more like just a spicy vegetable soup. I'm not trying to be snarky... I'd just like to know.
Before I became vegetarian, I actually associated the kidney beans with chili, more than the meat.  

Now that I am vegetarian, I've found a lot of vegetarian chili recipes.   Some use fake ground round or tvp (textured vegetable protein) in place of the meat, however, I don't like the idea of either of them, as I consider both to be overly processed and fake.

I have made a chili with quinoa, where the quinoa gives the meaty texture.  Still not the same as a meaty version, but I enjoy it.   Here's some pictures of quinoa chili.  Some look a lot like their meaty cousins.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=quin..._Z7JAhWCVD4KHZKEAiQQ_AUIBygB&biw=1440&bih=736

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
While off work yesterday, I made a big pot of vegetable soup. I had two pounds of ground beef and only needed 1-1/2 pounds for the meat loaf. So I used the remaining half-pound in the soup. Lots of onions and peppers, frozen tomato sauce and a bit of beef stock, potatoes, limas, green beans, corn, and peas. It's a good way to use the produce from our garden.

And that's what we're having for dinner tonight. With sourdough biscuits.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

whenever i've got either something that's too spicy or something that's too sweet (like apple crisp can be if i don't cut back on the sugar a bit), i just add some plain yogurt to it. you can mix the plain yogurt into chili to cut the 'too spicy'.

i'll be having cheese and crackers for my dinner, and some apple crisp for dessert.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
pulled out a container of tomato sauce with sweet Italian Sausages. I had that for supper tonight and have leftovers for tomorrow or Sunday. It was so good. Not bitter at all. I forgot I do make a good sauce. I am glad I made an over amount of it last month. I have lots of it stored in the freezer for the future...

All I had to do was re-heat it in the microwave and cook up some pasta to go with it....

tomorrow is another day!!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible they made it spicy because it's chili. Or maybe just to give it some flavor? You could ask if they have a milder version if you don't like it spicy.

I always thought that the beans were the main ingredient.

Status
Not open for further replies.