What's for dinner? - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Barbecued chicken pizza and a regular pizza. We're having Rick's mom down for lunch today and she requested the chicken pizza; I made the barbecue sauce last night and we'll put cooked chicken and red onion slices on that pizza, too, topped with shredded provolone. The regular pizza will have a bit of sauce, pepperoni, sauteed pepper and onion strips with sauteed mushrooms. And shredded mozz. I made a sourdough crust for the chicken pizza and a regular crust for the other pizza. 

Dessert will be an apple coffee cake....it's cooling in the kitchen now.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to the in laws like usual. We will probably have some kind of chicken, that's what she usually makes. I'm nervous about leaving our new cat alone in the house for the first time but I am sure she will be fine. She seems pretty easy going.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Barbecued chicken pizza and a regular pizza. We're having Rick's mom down for lunch today and she requested the chicken pizza; I made the barbecue sauce last night and we'll put cooked chicken and red onion slices on that pizza, too, topped with shredded provolone. The regular pizza will have a bit of sauce, pepperoni, sauteed pepper and onion strips with sauteed mushrooms. And shredded mozz. I made a sourdough crust for the chicken pizza and a regular crust for the other pizza. 

Dessert will be an apple coffee cake....it's cooling in the kitchen now.
Doesn't your MiL get heart burn from all the spicy stuff on the pizza?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[quois there nothing you can't get in America conetnjng name="Miagi's_Mommy" url="/t/290275/whats-for-dinner-2015/1440#post_3842035"]

It's a boxed pasta dish you just add hamburger to. They have different varieties.

[/quote]

OMG is there nothing that you can't get in America,food wise?
Thank you for your pictures of the boxes.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Doesn't your MiL get heart burn from all the spicy stuff on the pizza?
No....I'm really careful so it's not overly spicy at all. Whenever I make something for Evelyn, I will tone it down a little. She can take some heat, but not much. And really, BBQ chicken isn't spicy. I make my own BBQ sauce. I always saute my onions and such. The provolone cheese is a wee bit smoky, but not spicy. The other pizza had sauteed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms with pepperoni and topped it with the rest of the provolone and some mozz. I made the pizza sauce myself and so it wasn't overly spicy for her. I used turkey pepperoni, so it wasn't real fatty either.

She has more of a problem with fresh breads and such and she should not eat bread within 24 hours of it being made. It tends to settle in her stomach, I guess. My dad was the same way. Bread could not be eaten within 24 hours of it being made fresh. She was fine with the pizza though.

She ate three slices of BBQ chicken pizza and took another 3 slices home. And she took a couple slices of the apple coffee cake, too. She'll have plenty for her lunch tomorrow. She just loves homemade pizza.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No....I'm really careful so it's not overly spicy at all. Whenever I make something for Evelyn, I will tone it down a little. She can take some heat, but not much. And really, BBQ chicken isn't spicy. I make my own BBQ sauce. I always saute my onions and such. The provolone cheese is a wee bit smoky, but not spicy. The other pizza had sauteed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms with pepperoni and topped it with the rest of the provolone and some mozz. I made the pizza sauce myself and so it wasn't overly spicy for her. I used turkey pepperoni, so it wasn't real fatty either.

She has more of a problem with fresh breads and such and she should not eat bread within 24 hours of it being made. It tends to settle in her stomach, I guess. My dad was the same way. Bread could not be eaten within 24 hours of it being made fresh. She was fine with the pizza though.

She ate three slices of BBQ chicken pizza and took another 3 slices home. And she took a couple slices of the apple coffee cake, too. She'll have plenty for her lunch tomorrow. She just loves homemade pizza.
And jambalaya. Did you say she has a carer now?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
And jambalaya. Did you say she has a carer now?
You mean a cook? Well, the woman comes in a couple times a week and she cooks a few meals for Evelyn. She goes for a few groceries and on Wednesdays, she'll go to the farmers market for fresh produce for her. Between the woman and me, we can get pretty much anything Evelyn needs at the market. This last week, she and Evelyn made the jambalaya. 

Evelyn told me today that she probably won't make jambalaya any more as she thinks it's too much work. But I have her recipe and I told her not to worry, that I'd make it for her. It's good stuff. It probably won't taste exactly the same; no two cooks cook exactly alike. But it will be OK.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salmon fillet with brown sugar / Grey Poupon country style mustard / soy sauce / sherry marinade, grilled under infra-red broiler in the oven. Served with brown rice and broccoli. He had Haagen Dazs dark chocolate cherry amaretto ice cream for dessert, I had Mr Green Tea green tea ice cream.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[quois there nothing you can't get in America conetnjng name="Miagi's_Mommy" url="/t/290275/whats-for-dinner-2015/1440#post_3842035"]

It's a boxed pasta dish you just add hamburger to. They have different varieties.

OMG is there nothing that you can't get in America,food wise?
Thank you for your pictures of the boxes.[/quote]
Haha it's not the best thing in the world IMO... but it's fairly easy to make. Personally I like the cheeseburger macaroni the best. I just love cheese and always have cheese on my burgers. But I don't think we have had it since last year. But it's a non-expensive meal you just need hamburger. :) And you're welcome!

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha it's not the best thing in the world IMO... but it's fairly easy to make. Personally I like the cheeseburger macaroni the best. I just love cheese and always have cheese on my burgers. But I don't think we have had it since last year. But it's a non-expensive meal you just need hamburger. :) And you're welcome!
But it's not healthy is it. Like boxed mac and cheese. The cheese isn't real cheese. It's all imitation really, not that I wouldn'teat it if I had the chance. Problem is I'd have to make the burger!!!!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mean a cook? Well, the woman comes in a couple times a week and she cooks a few meals for Evelyn. She goes for a few groceries and on Wednesdays, she'll go to the farmers market for fresh produce for her. Between the woman and me, we can get pretty much anything Evelyn needs at the market. This last week, she and Evelyn made the jambalaya. 

Evelyn told me today that she probably won't make jambalaya any more as she thinks it's too much work. But I have her recipe and I told her not to worry, that I'd make it for her. It's good stuff. It probably won't taste exactly the same; no two cooks cook exactly alike. But it will be OK.
I'd love to taste jambalaya. It's probably full of shell fish so I'd never be able to make it. Sigh.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen recipes for jambalaya without the shrimp but I think a spicy sausage called andouiille is an integral part of the dish.  I don't know if it could be made with spicy chicken sausage or not.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'd love to taste jambalaya. It's probably full of shell fish so I'd never be able to make it. Sigh.

I have seen recipes for jambalaya without the shrimp but I think a spicy sausage called andouiille is an integral part of the dish.  I don't know if it could be made with spicy chicken sausage or not.
It has shrimp and andouille sausage. When my MIL makes it, she doesn't add a lot of spices because the sausage gives it just enough spice/heat to satisfy her. And she makes it good; we all love her recipe. I think you need the andouille sausage to make it the way it should be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.