What's Everyone Reading??

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just finished First Families. Its about how living in the White House has affected the Presidents' wives and children. Very interesting read.

badenzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I home-school my oldest daughter, and we are reading some great classics:
"Island of the Blue Dolphin", "The Hobbit", and "The Secret Garden".
Her history curriculum is AWESOME- anyone who is interested in history should check out Joy Hakim's "A History of US", a series of 6 books.
I am reading James Mitchner's "Alaska," and finished "Hawaii" last month. I highly recommend anything written by Mitchner.
Also read Stephen King's "Thinner," to add in some lighter reading-

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova from our library. There was a 7 month wait for it and they have 6 copies. Because it's a highly requested book I only have it for 10 days and it is very, very thick. I have to read very fast I think to be able to get through it in 10 days.

I had this book on my list of wanted books for over a year.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"Pride and Prejudice" and just finished "Lost Salt Gift of Blood" a book of short stories by Alistair MacLeod.

They both are very good, which is probably an understatement.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I just got "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova from our library. There was a 7 month wait for it and they have 6 copies. Because it's a highly requested book I only have it for 10 days and it is very, very thick. I have to read very fast I think to be able to get through it in 10 days.

I had this book on my list of wanted books for over a year.
I read this, when it first came out and don't feel that it lived up to the hype or the humongous movie rights amount.

It isn't nearly as good as Dracula or some of Anne Rice's books.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cindy, I have to agree. I thought the idea was great, the beginning kept me interested, but she could have done it in about 200 fewer pages. Still, I liked it, I just didn't love it.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently reading Deep Freeze by Lisa Jackson, a real good thriller!

shanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am rereading for the 5th or 6th time, A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius.

I admire Dave Eggers SOO much.

I think I'm going to use this place to announce that I found someone to publish the book I'm working on. I tell everyone because it has been my dream to become a published author since I started keeping a journal in 2nd grade. Now, I know a lot of junk is published, but this is the first step. It's the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me, in my 19 years of life.

Now, all I need to do is finish the dern thing..

honeybcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Velocity, Dean Koontz. Starts off fabulously really hooks you in then just trails away, but i will try to finish it..

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ShanStar

I am rereading for the 5th or 6th time, A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius.

I admire Dave Eggers SOO much.

I think I'm going to use this place to announce that I found someone to publish the book I'm working on. I tell everyone because it has been my dream to become a published author since I started keeping a journal in 2nd grade. Now, I know a lot of junk is published, but this is the first step. It's the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me, in my 19 years of life.

Now, all I need to do is finish the dern thing..
Congrats!

BTW: Who is your publisher?

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am reading The Cat who Could Read Backwards at the moment, this is my night-time reading.

I also have The Da Vinci Code ongoing as well on audio book. Audio books are great, I can get on with the decorating whilst listening to it
Followed by The Cat Who Knew A Cardinal. I have an awful lot of decorating to do

I have just finished Stephen Kings 'The Tower' series. I did enjoy it but cant really see myself reading it a second time, it is very long at 7 books.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just finished Stephen King's latest, "Cell". He is back up to his old standards. "Cell" has a lot of the elements of "The Stand" (which I loved).

Recently, I had felt as if he was just "phoning in" his books. I know that he has health problems and is just finishing out his contract but, he should go out with a bang, not a whimper.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

I read this, when it first came out and don't feel that it lived up to the hype or the humongous movie rights amount.

It isn't nearly as good as Dracula or some of Anne Rice's books.
Well I managed to get through it in the 10 days, but have to agree that at least 200 pages could have been cut!
I've never read Bram Stoker's Dracula so can't really compare. I don't usually read this type of book but for some reason I had it on a list I had prepared almost 2 years ago of books I'd like to read and finally got around to it.

I'm down to the last two books by J.A. Jance that I haven't read yet so now I'm going to have to find another new author. If any of you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of books do you like Linda? Somehow I thought you would like the classic books that Oprah recommended when she decided to make them her "thing" for awhile. I liked The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson Mc Culler (spelling?) and Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

What kind of books do you like Linda? Somehow I thought you would like the classic books that Oprah recommended when she decided to make them her "thing" for awhile. I liked The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson Mc Culler (spelling?) and Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.
I like fiction fluff! I like Tom Clancy, Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, Kathy Reichs - that sort of thing - murder/mystery type stuff. Even with being here a lot I still manage to go through a book about every 2-3 days.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm currently reading Linda Fairstein's latest, "Death Dance". Fairstein was the chief sex crimes prosecutor for the Manhattan DA's office and her protagonist, Alexandra Cooper, holds the same job. I've read these from the beginning and won't miss one.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

I'm currently reading Linda Fairstein's latest, "Death Dance". Fairstein was the chief sex crimes prosecutor for the Manhattan DA's office and her protagonist, Alexandra Cooper, holds the same job. I've read these from the beginning and won't miss one.
I'll check these out at our library. Thanks - sounds like my kind of books.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading a "Cat Who" book, a "Joe Gray" book, listening to "Timeline" on cd, and reading a book called "People of the Lie" - a nonfiction book about human evil and the hope for healing it. It's actually quite interesting.

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Didn't they make a film based on 'Timeline'?

Finished the Cat who could read backwards and the da vinci code. Just started The Cat Who ate danish modern.

Anyone know how many of 'The Cat Who..' books have been written? I guess that I have a long way to go yet, i believe 'Danish Modern' is the 2nd?

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have just found the Koko & YumYum thread which contains a link to the unofficial guide to 'The Cat Who.....' books.

And yep, it looks like i have a lot of catching up to do, cant say i am disappointed