What's Everyone Reading??

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the last chapter of Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz- wow what a ride!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Am currently halfway through Mary Roach's "Spook". This is a follow-up to her 'Stiff: the Secret Life of Cadavers". Blame it on my morbid sense of humor.

wenzee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm reading Maybe This Christmas by....uhh, I can't remember the author's name at the moment and I'm too lazy to get up and look....LOL!
And Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Am currently halfway through Mary Roach's "Spook". This is a follow-up to her 'Stiff: the Secret Life of Cadavers". Blame it on my morbid sense of humor.
"Spook" wasn't nearly as entertaining or interesting as "Stiff".

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ali012281

I've recently read the two books Eragon and Eldest... I'm eagerly awaiting the third book. I also just read Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants just for a brainless read (it was really cute) and now I've started The Fellowship of the Ring..... but I should really be reading my microbiology book.
Did you hear that Eragon is being made into a movie? I haven't read it yet, but several of my fellow teachers have. I also read Sisterhood for something light, and really liked it.

Currently, I am reading Jan Karon's last Mitford novel and The Historian. I'm about 1/4 through The Historian, and really like it.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joecool

I have reccomended them before, and will do so again. The John Bellairs books are so good. Very whimsical yet so easy to relate to. They only take an hour to read each, and many are not in print anymore. they are juvenile novels but still good, yet he also wrote an adult fantasy book, the Face in the Frost. It is good.

They are awesome, and another book that is really good is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It is hailed as an adult Harry Potter book, and it takes a great deal of time to read.

Just my opinions.
Joecool
I've been thinking about pickking up Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell looks like I might just do that. Of course, first I need to go through my bookshelves and make sure I don't already have it.

Currently reading Single Mother By Choice by Jane Mattes. I'm not at the point I'm ready to make that kind of decision but it's something I'm kicking around for when I reach my late thirties/early forties.

Also getting ready to start Christ the Lord: Out of Eygpt by Anne Rice. I've read all her other books so this should be interesting to see what this new direction feels like.

I also just went on an ordering spree at Barnes and Noble, post Christmas spending is go great, so I have a lot of books coming my way.

Oh and for some reason, I'm really into Non-fiction books right now which is an arena I haven't dabbled in much...anyone have any suggestions? I'm into historical non-fiction and studies on sociology but I've found some are great and some are not so good.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read "Christ the Lord - Out of Egypt a couple of weeks ago. Anne Rice should stick to the dark side.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

I read "Christ the Lord - Out of Egypt a couple of weeks ago. Anne Rice should stick to the dark side.
I'm about half way through it and I do like the "dark side" better from her as well. It's not horrible but not up to par with her other stuff. I'll probably finish it tonight or tomorrow then move onto something else. My Mother also wants to read it although she wasn't into the Vampire Novels. My Dad will probably read it as well, it'll be interesting to hear what he thinks of it since he's a fan as well.

At any rate, next on the list to read:

Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon Hunting Soccer Mom by Julie Kenner
Finding God in Harry Potter by John Granger

And when my shipments from Barnes and Noble arrive: Prey by Michael Crichton, I've been wanting to read this for a while and it's on clearance at Barnes and Noble for $3.99. I couldn't pass it up.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just read the Nanny Diaries- absolutely a good and fast read. Lots of laughs as well as some tears inside-

Getting ready to start The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank by Ellen Feldman

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GrayKittenLove

I'm about half way through it and I do like the "dark side" better from her as well. It's not horrible but not up to par with her other stuff. I'll probably finish it tonight or tomorrow then move onto something else. My Mother also wants to read it although she wasn't into the Vampire Novels. My Dad will probably read it as well, it'll be interesting to hear what he thinks of it since he's a fan as well.

At any rate, next on the list to read:

Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon Hunting Soccer Mom by Julie Kenner
Finding God in Harry Potter by John Granger

And when my shipments from Barnes and Noble arrive: Prey by Michael Crichton, I've been wanting to read this for a while and it's on clearance at Barnes and Noble for $3.99. I couldn't pass it up.
I read Looking for God in Harry Potter by John Granger, very interesting. He also has a website, but I can't remember what it's called, maybe hogwartsprofessor.com or something like that.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GrayKittenLove - have you read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Very interesting non fiction read.

I've just finished "Birds Without Wings" by Louis de Bernieres. Love that man! Really enjoyed this novel, I didn't get into as much as "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" but still a hard one to put down.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm halfway through "The Pilot's Wife" by Anita Shreve and it has really been wonderful so far.

I've got three books currently waiting in the wings as well. I've got "Good Grief" by Lolly Winston and then two lighter books to read, "4 Blondes" by Candace Bushnell (author of the original Sex and the City book) and "Bite" by C.J. Tosh.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read "The Pilot's wife" a while ago - loved it, but it made me all teary and super lovey dovey to my husband, so he said "no more books by this author!"

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost finished with Memoirs of a Geisha here. Before that, it was the sequel to Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas, which was titled Forever Odd. Next I'm going for A Million Little Pieces. I can't seem to get enough to read lately!