What's considered "normal" after a urinary block?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally wouldn't over think the dry food thing, ideally a can or two might help with the hydration but just do what works best for your cat. All are different and have different needs.

As for urine samples, it's best to have the vet take it directly from the bladder. If your cat is anything like mine he may not like the perler bead stuff and protest by peeing on the living room rug.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melonie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
unfortunately the c/d only comes in little cans and he needs about 2/3 or so a day, it gets outrageously expensive (200 dollars a month) and we were advised to keep him on the prescription for the rest of his life :( I'll ask the vet about his hydration when i go on friday -- we really can't afford a wet c/d diet

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
unfortunately the c/d only comes in little cans and he needs about 2/3 or so a day, it gets outrageously expensive (200 dollars a month) and we were advised to keep him on the prescription for the rest of his life :( I'll ask the vet about his hydration when i go on friday -- we really can't afford a wet c/d diet
You could just give him a portion of a can a day. Any kind of moisture is good.

Some cats like an ice cube to lick. That's another idea

melonie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could just give him a portion of a can a day. Any kind of moisture is good.

Some cats like an ice cube to lick. That's another idea
that's a good idea!! I'll try that :) we usually put ice cubes in his water but I'll see if he just likes plain ice cubes too

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat had this done last month - so I definitely get the expense and the stress. Two cases of the small can royal canin just set me back over $100.

IMO in no way would I let the cat have dry food. Purina pro plan has urinary food and I would just water it down.

What I am doing is slowly transitioning him back onto the locally sourced raw we have here. Even the freeze dried raw is very expensive, but you can at least reconstitute that with water.

Anyway I don't know where you are but this is what I use, it turns out to be cheaper than even commercial canned:

melonie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi! sorry, i don't check this often :( the vet visit was fine! they said his urine was just concentrated, but everything else was how it should be. we've been putting 2 tablespoons in his c/d dry food since and he's doing great.

i do have another question. we're out of his c/d right now, i won't be able to get any until tomorrow afternoon (5ish pm) but he can't go that long without eating. we have some wet food (friskies, it's for our other cat) and i was wondering if it would be okay to feed him that? only to hold him over until tomorrow, probably not the whole can. he ate the rest of his c/d a couple hours ago, it's about the time i'd give him his one of his last meals for the night.

i called the vet and the tech said that if i do do that, there's always the risk that he could reblock from one feeding even if the chance is minimal and that it was up to me. that's what scares me. i can't afford to take him in again and i don't have the means to get there. i'm sure feeding him a little of the regular wet food is better than letting him starve for a whole day of course, but i'm just afraid to. should i just feed him and see? i'm really afraid something bad will happen.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just be sure to add some extra water to the friskies. Just give him a small amount. He will be fine waiting until 5 for the rest of his meal.

Also I know the CD can be very expensive. Have you looked to ordering it online from Chewy? You need the vets approval, but it is often cheaper than getting it from the vet. I have ordered lots of prescription dog and cat food from Chewy.

melonie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you! i have tried, i typically get it from petsmart since it's close to where i work but I'll definitely try chewy.

he pushed just a little last night when he was peeing, not sure if it was straining or just getting comfortable but i got worried anyway. i called the vets office a couple times last night, just to ask about the food and to ask about the pushing. they told me to try and force a lot of water into him and flavor it with the wet food so he'll drink it, i gave him a decent dish full of the flavored water and then a little more than 15ml (what the tech suggested) about an hour and a half later. i just gave him another 15ml before i go back to bed so hopefully everything's okay by the time i come home tonight. :)