What's Best For My Cat? Moving Or Staying With My Roomie?

Kos51630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have adopted a kitten(female) that was found in the street one and a half years ago. About a year ago we moved to a shared flat with a friend of mine who also has a cat (male but spayed). The two cats get along really well and my cat also loves my roomie.
Now I'm going to move together with my boyfriend in a couple of weeks and he is allergic to cats. But we already thought about a cleaning routine and have bought allerpet for the cat and for the furniture.
Still my parents think it's best for my boyfriend if I give my cat to my roommate and my roommate wants my cat for herself. Her mum even told me I'm selfish for wanting to take my cat with me because she is obviously happy with the other cat and her mum thinks my cat loves my roommate more than me. My boyfriend however thinks we should definitely try and take her with us.
I love my cat like crazy and I want her to be happy. Maybe I'm selfish if I take her and maybe she would be happier if I left her with my roommate. I don't know what to do. Because I think my heart will break if I gave her away. But if it's best for I'd do it. What do you think I should do? And If I moved her, how would I know if she is unhappy? And what would help her with the change?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That cat is yours, and you love it. I don't think its a sin to keep it! However, you asked what is best for your cat, and if your roommate loves the cat just as much as you do, your serious about your BF and his allergies are significant, the answer is pretty clear. I don't know you two, but I'd bet your BF doesn't really want the cat, he wants you to be happy. Maybe you can avoid most of his allergies, but maybe you can't and what then? Your going to make the cat move twice when your roommate loves it just as much? When your cat has a buddy there?

Last edited:

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When your boyfriend comes over to your apartment now how are his allergies?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If your roommate is willing to take the cat if it doesn’t work out with your bf’s allergies, I see not harm in a trial move. It is an adjustment for your cat but if it didn’t work out in a short while I think she would readjust to her former home just fine.