Whats A Good Grain Free Food?

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i currently buy science diet. looking for a grain free food that isnt more expensive than science diet. any recommendations?

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We feed "Young Again Mature", with zero grains / digestible carbohydrates. (A low carbohydrate (5%) version is also sold, but is also grain free.) They sell 6 different recipes, total.

This cat food is concentrated, so cats need to eat less to get more of what they need, compared to most other cat foods. . . . Bags of Young Again that are the same weight as store bought brands, hold many more servings than the store-bought foods do, so only *appear* to cost much more.

I recommend reviewing the 12 comparison charts of various brands of cat foods (Prescription Cat Foods -&- Box Store Cat Foods), found here: https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/assets/yacfc-rx-diet-chart.pdf

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein. It is pricey, but the Dr. Elsey's website, Amazon, and Chewy all tend to have decent sales. It holds the same science as kommunity kats kommunity kats spoke of above with Young Again (I don't feed that brand personally but I have heard nothing but good things about it!). It has very few fillers and is mostly animal protein, so your cat will eat much, much less, which means the bag will last you longer. For example, I have a friend who has an 8lb cat and she eats 1/3 cup A DAY. That's all the calories she needs, since the food has 550 calories/cup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I like Merrick, Natural Balance, Blue wilderness and Tiki Cat, but these might also be of help;

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Pet Food Guide
thanks for the info!

We feed "Young Again Mature", with zero grains / digestible carbohydrates. (A low carbohydrate (5%) version is also sold, but is also grain free.) They sell 6 different recipes, total.

This cat food is concentrated, so cats need to eat less to get more of what they need, compared to most other cat foods. . . . Bags of Young Again that are the same weight as store bought brands, hold many more servings than the store-bought foods do, so only *appear* to cost much more.

I recommend reviewing the 12 comparison charts of various brands of cat foods (Prescription Cat Foods -&- Box Store Cat Foods), found here: https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/assets/yacfc-rx-diet-chart.pdf
thanks for the info!

Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein. It is pricey, but the Dr. Elsey's website, Amazon, and Chewy all tend to have decent sales. It holds the same science as kommunity kats kommunity kats spoke of above with Young Again (I don't feed that brand personally but I have heard nothing but good things about it!). It has very few fillers and is mostly animal protein, so your cat will eat much, much less, which means the bag will last you longer. For example, I have a friend who has an 8lb cat and she eats 1/3 cup A DAY. That's all the calories she needs, since the food has 550 calories/cup.
thats way too expensive. im on a budget:(

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
For a long time they had wellness core chicken but sinse it's so expensive, I'm switching to Dave's cats meow chicken,chicken liver,and turkey. Might try holistic also. If your cat needs a special diet I wouldnt suggest that

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One thing to remember is that grain free for cheaper foods often just means they use potatoes or peas for a binder instead, which still makes them higher carb. (Assuming we are talking about Dry food) Ideally you want something high protein and moderate fat so that it's lower carb. The higher carb a food is, the more your cat will eat of it to feel full.

If I were on a budget, ones I would try would be

American Journey (available on Chewy only, a few flavors available)
American Journey Turkey & Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food, 5-lb bag - Chewy.com

Canidae PURE Elements (several flavors)
CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Elements with Chicken Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Cat Food, 10-lb bag - Chewy.com

Merrick Purrfect Bistro
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain-Free Real Duck & Turkey Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food, 4-lb bag - Chewy.com

I'm sure there are lots of great foods in your price range!

You could also feed some wet too. Even foods like Friskies Pates tend to be lower carb than even expensive grain free kibble!

Nursemike3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tiki Cat (Petco, Chewy) great ingredients, negligible carbs, doesn't spend money on ads. I have two cats one who eats anything and everything, and one who hates everything till I put her on Tiki. Less than Hill, Science Diet, Royal Canin and Pro Plan and I think better quality.

Nursemike3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For Dry Food, American Journey is very well made and afordable and my cats like it better than Hill, Science Diet, Royal Canin and a few others. Tiki makes good dry food, and so does Nuvo. My cats like those best, and they have tried all the premiums. I have two cats from shelters who are seniors. They get wet food twice a day and can grave on limited dry food. One of them is too fat, the other is thin- her companion was a food bully and that is slowly changing as she gets a little more cat mojo.

Seryy'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing to remember is that grain free for cheaper foods often just means they use potatoes or peas for a binder instead, which still makes them higher carb. (Assuming we are talking about Dry food) Ideally you want something high protein and moderate fat so that it's lower carb. The higher carb a food is, the more your cat will eat of it to feel full.

If I were on a budget, ones I would try would be

American Journey (available on Chewy only, a few flavors available)
American Journey Turkey & Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food, 5-lb bag - Chewy.com

Canidae PURE Elements (several flavors)
CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Elements with Chicken Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Cat Food, 10-lb bag - Chewy.com

Merrick Purrfect Bistro
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain-Free Real Duck & Turkey Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food, 4-lb bag - Chewy.com

I'm sure there are lots of great foods in your price range!

You could also feed some wet too. Even foods like Friskies Pates tend to be lower carb than even expensive grain free kibble!
Are these also available in 'kitten' formula?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
For a long time they had wellness core chicken but sinse it's so expensive, I'm switching to Dave's cats meow chicken,chicken liver,and turkey. Might try holistic also. If your cat needs a special diet I wouldnt suggest that
No I'm not switching to Dave's cats meow. She does not like it

Seryy'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise