What wrong with this new born kitten

Catattack540

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So no only are the legs all twisted on the rear and the front ones really short. But there under developed paws are tiny with no claws either. Some advice what this could be?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! The kitten didn't develop properly. If I were you, I would speak with a vet - (I'm not sure about the future quality of life for this baby).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell from the picture. Twisted legs often work themselves out with some gentle massage and time, but if the foot is not completely developed, it may be something like a club foot deformity.

It's good to have a vet look at the kitten to see if it has other problems. However, it's also important to know that vets will sometimes advise euthanasia for very mild limb deformities, and even for twisted limbs which usually sort themselves out. I have had a vet advise me to euthanize a kitten with one twisted foot... the foot straightened out and was totally normal a few weeks later. In your kitten's case, if the paws are shortened and do not have claws, the kitten may in fact have a lasting deformity, but cats can adapt to many types of limb disabilities, so I wouldn't be quick to euthanize unless the kitten has other problems.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you do not have to euthanize just because the vet views it as more humane. I have had handicapped pets and it is often wise to see where this goes, baring anything serious intervening. If this is not viable, you can always humanely release the kitty.

Mr. Meow Mr. Meow has experience with handicapped cats

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
lutece lutece is right that twisted legs can untwist, along with little squished heads can regain their normal shape.
The kitten is too young for me to tell if it's a condition called Radial Hypoplasia. Cats can have long, healthy, happy lives with this condition, which is just a twisting deformity of the legs. Unfortunately, only a vet can tell what's going on here.
As long as the kitten is eating (with or without assistance) and doesn't appear to be in any pain, I'd say there's no need for euthanizing the kitten. There are also cats who have happy, successful lives without front legs at all.
If it were me, I'd make sure the kitten was healthy and give it a fighting chance.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with above posts. Is the kitten able to nurse successfully? Some of the other issues can be worked out if the kitten is nursing and eliminating successfully. Please update.