What would you save in a fire?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, I can't even bring myself to THINK about this one that hard. I guess my laptop, camera, phone and portable hard drive. Because of all the pictures. Just the thought makes me get all panicky and want to put everything in one spot for easy grabbing in the middle of the night.

Now in the event of a natural disaster... I know we've talked about what we'd do if there was a tornado here. We live in a manufactured home, which means there's no basement. We're told to go to the Jewel in the even of a tornado warning, but they go on lockdown so by the time we'd get there, there would be no point. And they say don't drive. So, what, we're supposed to walk with all the flying debris? I've seen stuff flying around out there and I sure as heck wouldn't want to be walking in it. Plus, we can't take our pets into Jewel. So we've already decided that we'd just stay put and hope for the best. Refuse to leave my babies behind just because someone says I can't bring them. I'll crack open a beer and let Mother Nature do her thing.

swamplady swamplady , I'm so sorry you had to leave Stowaway behind. I just can't even imagine that.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was not in a major fire but I did not know how it would go. I had a cage with birds, a dog, 2 cats + myself in a trailer in the

country without a car available. Without thought all animals went out first. Then after thought I put fire out using baking soda I had plenty of because I cleaned with it to keep smells down. I had bread in a toaster. The toast got stuck and caught a fire. The cabinets  above started burning before I knew what happened.

For Hurricane Katrina I am sad to say I HAD to leave my feral cat behind. I could not catch her and the storm was already coming in. Then the lady who helped me get out said she hated cats. When I returned I no longer could live where I was living. I looked and looked. SADLY the cat must have got washed away. As for papers and pictures well I lost about 80% of my stuff. The ONLY thing truly I missed was Stowaway. I called her that because she stayed hidden in a roll-away cabinet in the work carport. I catified it for her to stay warm.
I'm so sorry all this happened to you and that you lost Stowaway.  Katrina made that house fire look tame by comparison.  I don't know what to say about people who dare to say they hate cats.  That was HORRIBLE of that woman to sentence your poor Stowaway to death simply because of her bigoted opinion of cats.  All creatures deserve love.  

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I was not in a major fire but I did not know how it would go. I had a cage with birds, a dog, 2 cats + myself in a trailer in the

country without a car available. Without thought all animals went out first. Then after thought I put fire out using baking soda I had plenty of because I cleaned with it to keep smells down. I had bread in a toaster. The toast got stuck and caught a fire. The cabinets  above started burning before I knew what happened.

For Hurricane Katrina I am sad to say I HAD to leave my feral cat behind. I could not catch her and the storm was already coming in. Then the lady who helped me get out said she hated cats. When I returned I no longer could live where I was living. I looked and looked. SADLY the cat must have got washed away. As for papers and pictures well I lost about 80% of my stuff. The ONLY thing truly I missed was Stowaway. I called her that because she stayed hidden in a roll-away cabinet in the work carport. I catified it for her to stay warm.
I'm so sorry all this happened to you and that you lost Stowaway.  Katrina made that house fire look tame by comparison.  I don't know what to say about people who dare to say they hate cats.  That was HORRIBLE of that woman to sentence your poor Stowaway to death simply because of her bigoted opinion of cats.  All creatures deserve love.  

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omg, I can't even bring myself to THINK about this one that hard. I guess my laptop, camera, phone and portable hard drive. Because of all the pictures. Just the thought makes me get all panicky and want to put everything in one spot for easy grabbing in the middle of the night.

Now in the event of a natural disaster... I know we've talked about what we'd do if there was a tornado here. We live in a manufactured home, which means there's no basement. We're told to go to the Jewel in the even of a tornado warning, but they go on lockdown so by the time we'd get there, there would be no point. And they say don't drive. So, what, we're supposed to walk with all the flying debris? I've seen stuff flying around out there and I sure as heck wouldn't want to be walking in it. Plus, we can't take our pets into Jewel. So we've already decided that we'd just stay put and hope for the best. Refuse to leave my babies behind just because someone says I can't bring them. I'll crack open a beer and let Mother Nature do her thing.

@Swamplady, I'm so sorry you had to leave Stowaway behind. I just can't even imagine that.
@Donutte  Thank-you. Hugggs. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sweater my late husband wore at our wedding, laptop and his phone.  I have no idea where it was but his phone survived the car crash and he normally had it in just laying in the cup holder or somewhere.  When we went to the police station to get his wallet, phone and registration/insurance packet I was shocked it worked.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blighty because he'd impossible to catch. My bag and phone. I have nothing of value.