What Would You Do

Mr i need help asap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there this cat comming to my window allways crying seems she lost since she looks healthy keep crying for food iv been feeding her dry food giving her water but doesnt drink but eats all food in seconds then meows maybe she wants more?

she seem trust me allways rooling around when i come outside and meows what should i do it 6 degress im in canada it getting cold will start snowing soon she seems be alone cant find her way not sure or she homless she keep on meowing every time i go in i feel like shit leaving her what should i do thank you

i would keep her but im looking at her she looks healthy and big so im guessing this some ones cat and she lost also having second cat is out the question for one the old ladie dosent want but im sure having two cats keeping eachother company would be great even thoe there is a age different i dont no what to do help !!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should bring her inside for now, and also give her wet food. Set up a litter box.

You'll want to have a vet check the cat for a microchip to see if he/she is owned.

You can then decide what to do next.

The cat sounds lonely, hungry, and in need of shelter. She may be lost or abandoned.

Thank you for caring!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr i need help asap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im kinda tight this month on cash im not ASKING for money dont got funds for crazy city vet bills i dont mind feeding her but old lady refuse me to bring in she scared her little one will catch something but wet food and dry food water i will do and have been doing you think if i call aspca animal shelter she will be in good hands ??? Surrendering her will hurt me thinking they will put her down if no one takes her in but just want make sure she ok have clear conscious and not the feeling guilty also you think an ad on kijji is good idea ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why can't you bring her inside, even temporarily? The cat will not make a child sick.

The vet office should not charge to scan for a chip. It only takes a minute. That's all I suggested, not an exam. Just see if she has a chip and is owned or not.

Do you have a garage to put her in?

Do not take her to a kill shelter. Once you know if she has an owner or not you can ask friends and relatives if anyone could adopt her.

I have not heard of kijji. I live in Florida. If it is like Craig's list I would not use it.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Sarthur2 is right.. certainly here in Australia you can just take a cat in and they will scan for a chip. That really is the first step as she may have an owner.
You are right to be concerned about Winter in Canada. If she doesn't have a home she will need one. If there is absolutely no way you can keep her, then you will need to find a no-kill shelter in your area.
Please don't put her up for adoption online.

Mr i need help asap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok im been feeding wet dry food thing is im not sure if she homless i could be wrong she not skinny at all but could be the fur she comes around at random times and some times stays near window crying guess ill get in contact cause for paws see if they can help

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would bring her in. If someone does "own" her, they certainly aren't taking care of her. If you can't bring her leave her out and keep feeding her. Do not bring her to the shelter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there a chance this kitty is pregnant? Thank you for feeding her.

Mr i need help asap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont think anybody comming to get her i put pics on spca blog petlock maps nothing nobody shows up nobody calls poor cat honestly if i didnt have a cat i would im feeling guilty because she homless ..... sad seem she been homless or lost im going feed her or im feel guilty if i find her dead in street and once agin regreating i should of done more i dunno why im such a softey people think im probably nuts for feeding stray cats but what ever as long as i can sleep at night i dont care what they think my pleasure feeding her brings me joy seeing them purr when they happy anyways

Attachments

Stray Cathouse Madame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Start with getting her scanned for a microship, as others have suggested. It's a long shot, but it's the path of least resistance.

Since you cannot bring her inside, see if you can put together a makeshift shelter for her, cardboard box wrapped in thick plastic (like heavy duty garbage bag), put some old blankets and/or towels inside and place it as shielded from weather as possible. If you have an electric blanket and can put the shelter near an electrical outlet, even better.

While neglect or abandonment are cettainly possibilities, I have to disagree with sweetblackpaws, as she may be somebody's baby who got out, got scared and got lost.

If you have no choice but to surrender her, make sure it's to a no-kill shelter.

Try to take some good, clear pictures of her and send them to ALL shelters' lost & founds.

Lastly, and if all else fails, ask the "old lady" if she's OK with signing this sweet girl's death sentence, given the imminent harsh weather. Ask her what she would want a stranger to do if HER baby got out and got lost.

Good luck with this and please let us know how it turns out.

Stray Cathouse Madame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just saw this in another thread, seems it could be useful in your situation:

I read about some people in New York that were making shelters for feral cats in the neighborhood using the large foam boxes that grocery stores ship meat in. I just did a google search for winter feral cat shelter and there are all kinds of projects that come up and even a few youtube videos. There should be something in those that you can use. Most of them are low cost easy builds.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful news. Well done. :yess: