What would you do about this cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a time limit on how long you can edit a post, I believe it might be 2 hours.

Are you considering following any sort of introduction process with these cats? Usually, a new cat is confined to a room with their own food/water dishes, litter box, toys, etc. It lets them get used to a new environment first before going out to see the rest of the house and/or meet another cat. Once they seem comfortable in that room, which is considered their safe zone, the introductions can begin between the two cats.

You were given the guidelines earlier in this thread, I highly recommend you read them and formulate a plan accordingly.

And, as was said before, Enrique needs to be thoroughly checked out by a vat before you expose Bella to him.
Yes, we are. Right now, he is being kept next door until his vet appointment this coming Friday. We simply locked Bella in our bedroom and let him check out the house. He is very comfortable (and nosy :-) ). He was not at all hesitant or scared walking around the house checking everything out. Once he is clear at the vet, he will get his own space to start out.

So I called 2 vets this morning, (not my usual vet) and asked about what tests they do before introductions are made. I knew about feline leukemia and FIV. Both vet offices mentioned only these 2 tests. Does that sound right to you all? After all, it’s been a very long time since I’ve had to do tests like this with a cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those are the most common tests. and probably what most vets would recommend. Short of that, it all depends on whether you want to do blood work, urinalysis, and a fecal test.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner.

Note: the following is when we see our Vet. She's been taking care of my animals since, approximately 2009.

When I took them in (Li'l Cal and Santi) for their initial visit. We did the SNAP FIV/FeLV test. I'd also (with my dogs, as well) have bloodwork done. I have the bloodwork done, so I/we can have a baseline, re. how they are doing internally.

However, everyone has their budget for Vet care. Some may say the blood work is excessive. In a way I agree, but from my past experience with one of my dogs. I have it done.

While Santi was in his isolation room (lucky we had a third bedroom, during that time), before taking him to see DOC. I found a couple of what looked like, very soft beads of rice. Well, when I took him in. DOC told me what it was. ... YUCK! ... :running::lol: So he got dewormed. I think Li'l Cal got dewormed as well.

They also got their rabies, and (I think it was) FDRCP vaccines.

Note: if the animal is sick/are not feeling well. We hold off vaccinating them, till they are well.

Speaking for myself. I like to know how their health was doing from the beginning, sort of thing. Your mileage my vary, of course. .. :thumbsup:

AZ lost two great Vets, when they (both her and her husband are DVM's) decided to sell their practice/Hospital. Then moved out of state, in 2023.

Btw, sorry for the wall of text.:)

Last edited:

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Enrique update. So Enrique had his vet appointment a week ago from yesterday (March 8). All went well. Tests for FIV and Feline Leukemia were negative. I had them do a fecal swab and all was clear there. They confirmed he is indeed a neutered male. He received some vaccinations and we went on our way. We still weren't set up for him to be confined in his own space, so he continued living in the storage house next door at night and in a cat enclosure I built several years ago for an FIV positive cat during the day. This past Wednesday, I took advantage of being off from work because of being sick and got his area ready. Our house is 100 years old this year so it just goes from room to room. The biggest task in this was bringing a solid wood door back inside from the garage where it was being worked on and putting it back up. Since paint is still being stripped off of it, I taped a piece of cardboard 4' up (luckily, there is no evidence he is scratching at doors to get out). His area includes 2 bedrooms with a bathroom in between. Bella, the resident 18 year old has the rest of the house. Even though Enrique has only been in the house for the 4th day now, he is extremely comfortable with his surroundings. Once on Thursday when I opened the door to bring his water bowl out to give him fresh water, he bolted out of the room. I set the bowl down and was able to capture him in the kitchen and bring him back. Bella was in our bedroom so she didn't even see this. Yesterday (Friday) I opened the door to come out and Bella was right there and she bolted in. She saw Enrique and hissed (which I know is normal). I grabbed ahold of her tail and gently picked her up and brought her back outside. When I turned around to close the door Enrique had a "what the heck" look on his face. LOL I have been using the sock method where I have a sock for each with their initial on it. I rub it all over their face area and put the other's sock in the other's spaces. Both have smelled the socks daily and neither has had ANY reaction to the other's scent. Just this morning, I decided to hold Bella and opened the door to Enrique's space. I just opened the door a few inches. He was lounging on the bed. He saw her, but she didn't see him. When it appeared she didn't see him, I pushed the door a little more open. She still didn't see him and she was looking in the right area (even though the bed it the first thing to the right of the door). I pushed it open enough to step about halfway in and that is when she finally saw him because Enrique meowed and stood up in the bed. When she saw him, she hissed. I calmly walked her back out and set her down. She ran for our room. This is where we are now.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh no, they did! And I read it. But I don't remember it saying about swapping spaces, only socks or shirts with each other's scents on it.
Well, well, you are right. I haven't re-read that article in a while, and I swore it talked about that. Giving each cat some time in the other's space is a good idea. It allows the new cat to explore other areas of the house - a room/area at a time - and enables the resident cat to explore where their 'new buddy' resides. It is a sub-set of scent swapping so to speak. Go for it!!