What would you call this color?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dilute red tabby or cream tabby would be the offical term. But I think most people would understand if you say buff :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh a cream tabby, how cute!! Thank you so much! :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I'd agree with dilute red or cream but buff is fine. He is gorgeous no matter what you call his coloring. What beautiful eyes and such a sweet face! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd never heard of the term dilute red before! I guess I've been more used to people describing their cats as like... "brown" or "white" or "yellow," I love having the official term for it.

Aww, thank you, he definitely knows it! He's such a ham. He's had a URI but it's finally clearing up, I'm so happy to see his big curious eyes clear again.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I'd never heard of the term dilute red before! I guess I've been more used to people describing their cats as like... "brown" or "white" or "yellow," I love having the official term for it.

Aww, thank you, he definitely knows it! He's such a ham. He's had a URI but it's finally clearing up, I'm so happy to see his big curious eyes clear again.
The dilute red (becoming creme) or diluted black (becoming blue ie grey)  is not only fancy names for the color scale.  Its also a gene.  So there is a much specific gene causing the "red" color.   Which is important, because they can get reddish without this gene too, for example, having the so called roufism.

And if they happen to get the diluting gene - out comes the cremé = diluted red on the fur....

Children may inheritate both red, dilute gene or any combination...   That is why it helps to know.

One extra trick of nature: red males dont get red children.  Red is always inheritated from momma...