What Would You Call Roo?

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've had Roo for several years and I'm not sure what color she should be called. I refer to her as a red tabby with black markings. Is there a name for her coat color?

Roo.png

555725_437221612989619_57351496_n.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think she might be a mackeral torbie (tortie + tabby) genetically, just with less black. She's really pretty for sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she might be a mackeral torbie (tortie + tabby) genetically, just with less black. She's really pretty for sure!
Thank you! This is Sweety's oldest daughter. She was the only one in Sweety's first litter. She has a younger sister (who came out Siamese). They were accident kitties. Glad Sweety is fixed now, but also thankful for her little surprises. Can't imagine life without them now!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree she is a tortie.

Some tell to be called a torbie, the stripes shall be on the black (blue) parts. Because ALL reds are tabby, so it wouldnt be no sport.

But I dont know if we shall be that fussy. If you want to call her for a (red and black) torbie, do so. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azshua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree she is a tortie.

Some tell to be called a torbie, the stripes shall be on the black (blue) parts. Because ALL reds are tabby, so it wouldnt be no sport.

But I dont know if we shall be that fussy. If you want to call her for a (red and black) torbie, do so. :)
Yeah, she's a tortie for sure, but mostly red torties are rare! She doesn't have enough black for me to say whether she's a torbie though. Very pretty!
Guess I could always call her a tortbie, haha. Funny story about her birth is, she was born on the bed next to me. I woke up and there was this tiny red kitten laying beside me. I thought at first she was dead because she wasn't moving and felt a bit cold. I picked her up and began massaging her, and she started moving. We named her Roo because even as a kitten, she had a big fat pouch on her belly. I've never seen another like her anywhere. The first time I took her to the vet, he asked, "What's she got on her?" as he was pulling her out of the carrier. Then he realized and said, "Oh, that's her color!"