What Would You Call A “normal Looking Cat” With Siamese Coloration?

LaLoba16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all. I am looking for a certain kind of cat and am going to be posting on my local sellers club Facebook pages to find the breed I want but I want to know what I’m looking for is called so I can find exactly what I am looking for. I am looking for a “normal” looking short hair cat with Siamese coloration. In other words I want a cat that looks like this

Not this

My question is, are they both technically Siamese cats, but just a different breed of Siamese I guess? Or does a cat have to have that distinctive head shape to be considered a Siamese? Personally I dislike the face shape and really am just looking for a cat with the coloration, what would I am looking for be called? I appreciate the help!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You can call the first an old-style Siamese. They are both technically Siamese, but the modern Siamese in the second photo have been bred to have that long, slinky body, thus making the old-style Siamese the “original Siamese cats”. In TICA, old-style Siamese are called Thai cats, to distinguish from the modern Siamese: Thai Introduction

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The coloration is called pointed. It is a geneticist linked temperature sensitive albino like mutation. Cats with it are born pure white and darken up with age where their bodies are the coldest. You have the traditional type that comes from the original with solid colors but there is also any patterning normally found on cats like tabby or even tortoiseshell. While it did originally start with the original Siamese the point gene can be found throughout the cat world in both purebred and moggy cats.

If you are looking for the coloration I’d try local shelters and rescue groups as the coloration pops up without the extremes of selective breeding. The main risk with Facebook and backyard breeders is you will pay a premium price for a cat who could very well be a moggy genetic accident instead of actual purebred. Since you aren’t as familiar with the breeds it would be extremely easy for someone to charge you up several hundred for a random pointed kitten claiming it was a purebred. If you want a purebred your best bet is to find a local show and talk to an actual breeder or find a registered TICA breeder or CFA breeder through their websites. I cannot stress enough that going through Facebook with the expectation for a specific breed will likely end with you paying a backyard breeder for a sickly kitten or kitten who just looks like instead of being that breed.

The breed you aren’t as fond of is called Oriental. There are several different point breeds out there, like my Snowshoes who is my profile photo, but if you want the traditional color without the extreme body shape you probably would be looking at an Applehead Siamese. Again, I would encourage you to actually look into the different pointed breeds and go to a show if you want purebred; otherwise visit shelters or rescues for moggy pointed cats (which moggy means mixed breed). My two pointed cats are both moggy and lookalikes for Snowshoes instead of actual purebred, neither of them are any less lovely or loved because of their mixed heritage.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are also rescuer org spec on sismese and siamese look alike