What would you call a blue cat with stripes on legs and tummy

kcpaull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was given a bag of kittens 3 weeks ago. They were between 3 and 4 weeks old and being a sucker for cute little furry faces, I took them in despite already having 9 of my own cats.  There are two light grey tabbies, a torbie, a black one with darker black stripes and two blue kittens with darker blue stripes on their legs and tummy.  I was wondering what you would call these blue on blue kittens' coloring.  Thanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Blue tabbies, I think!   Blue cats has often ghost stripes as kittens.  For example common with russian blue.

But this litter are tabbies for real, we know that, as all siblings are tabbies.  While we know the RB doesnt carry tabby gene at all - as tabby is dominant.

So, we know for sure these stripes and spots arent no ghost markings, they are real tabby markings.

HERE they are spots on the tummy - if that is what you mean.  But spots on the tummy are common, both with mackerel and with classic tabby.

To decide what sort of tabby he is, we would need a good photo on the markings on his side.

But they have probably all the same type of markings, ie the same type of tabby.   Although I gather its just these two whom are sporting spots on tummy?

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We will need to see the kitten from the other  side too :p But anyway, this could also be a blue smoke kitten. The markings you see would then be ghost markings. But to be sure about that, we need a picture from above. More pictures is better~!

Also, the light gray kittens, can we see those? Maybe they are silver, which would make it more plausible for this kitten to be a smoke

Last edited:

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The phantom tabby markings may fade as they grow older.  My black boy and his b & w brother had the phantom tabby marks as kittens, but they faded as they grew into adults.  Now, the only trace is the vertical hair patterns on the back of the black boy's neck, and just today in the right sunlight, I saw a slight ghosting pattern on b & w's leg.

Your babies are cuties!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcpaull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information.  Of all the cats I've had over my lifetime, I've never had any blue ones.  They are all such sweeties, but they seem to think climbing my legs is the best game in town. Thank goodness for neosporin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcpaull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is BB, the larger of the two blue kittens now. The stripes have almost gone except for the tail.  They both have lovely golden eyes with a green ring around the pupil.