What Would Work Best For My Ckd Cat?

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents are talking about going to Yellowstone in September, and me going with them. I do want to go if possible. My dilemma involves what to do with our two cats that are on different prescription diets (KD and Royal Canin SO). Felix (the cat on Urinary SO) will be staying at our house (since he did not do well with boarding last time), and my friend will be looking in with him (I'm very happy with her as a cat sitter, as both cats seemed very relaxed when we got back last time - that was when they were both on Natural Balance, and before Felix had his blockage). I will be leaving food out on our cat tree for him, as I don't think he will eat for my friend (too shy).

Trixie (the cat on KD food) could either go to the cattery (where she seems pretty comfortable, and the lady knows her), or she could stay. My parents naturally want her to stay to save costs. She is currently on a diet of a 1/2 can of KD food morning and night and as much kibble as she will eat. Her weight seems to be stable on this. My questions are this
- Would asking my friend to feed her twice a day be adequate (I don't think I can ask my friend to do more than that since she does have homeschooling and other things to do)? Or would she do better being somewhere where she could have food left out for her?
- Do you think her presence would be a help for Felix (because we wouldn't all be leaving at once)? They have a relationship of mutual tolerance (they sniff noses when passing, and sleep in the same room), but I wouldn't call them best buddies. Or do you think it could be problematic (we may end up keeping Felix inside our garage for the duration - Given that he now runs off his energy by playing outside, I wouldn't want him to turn that energy to pestering Trixie, if lacking a better outlet for it)?

I can't do raw (because I don't think I would be up to doing it well), but am open to considering other feeding arrangements that might work for both cats. Unfortunately, given that my parents don't want an indoor litterbox, I don't have a real good way to separate the cats (I could put Trixie in the laundry room, but based on past experience, I think she would be trying to get out).

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Assuming both cats are microchipped, I'd invest in some microchip activated feeding bowls. That way, Felix will have his urinary SO and Trixie will have her k/d kibble, but neither cat will be able to eat each other's prescription food. Your sitter can then just give them each their wet food, check on and refill the feeders, and nobody goes hungry.

Microchip feeders aren't cheap, and you do have to teach the cats how they work, but they can be a huge advantage when cats have to be on different foods like your two.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does Felix eat Trixie's kibble if it's left out? You mentioned that she eats all she wants, so it seems that it must be left out, and if so, what keeps him from eating it now? And if he doesn't eat it now, then it shouldn't be an issue for your friend to come in twice a day to feed Trixie her canned food, then fill up their bowls with their appropriate kibble and do whatever else is needed and leave. Is the problem that currently Trixie eats more than two servings of canned food per day? If so, your friend could actually leave a FROZEN portion of canned food out for her, and in a few hours it will thaw and she can eat it. That's what I did with my kidney cat so she could eat in the middle of the night. Again though, this would only work if Felix doesn't eat her food.

Now we come to Felix and being left in the garage. Isn't it hot out there? Does he have access to the outside from the garage? Where would he eat from out there, since his food is on the cat tree...isn't that in the house? Too much change might be bad for him and he could stress out and still block, even with his prescription food :frown:. Just food for thought. If possible, I'd try to keep everything as "normal" as possible for him, living your own life, of course. No one expects you to skip a vacation :hugs:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I like the idea of trying a microchip feeder and seeing if I can make that work. I might see if I can borrow one locally to experiment with.

To answer the other questions. Does Felix eat Trixie's kibble if it's left out? You mentioned that she eats all she wants, so it seems that it must be left out, and if so, what keeps him from eating it now? Is the problem that currently Trixie eats more than two servings of canned food per day?
He would if not watched when we first started feeding the kidney diet to Trixie - He seems to have the idea now that Trixie's kibble is not his. It helps that I put his food down and direct him to that when he shows interest in Trixie's food. But, I would not trust him when left alone.
We keep Trixie's food on the counter in our kitchen (not ideal, and I would like to find another place for it in the long run) and put it down for her when she asks for it (that may have to change if the day comes when she stops taking the initiative to ask). I don't think the canned food twice a day will be a problem (but would need to confirm that with my friend).

Now we come to Felix and being left in the garage. Isn't it hot out there? Does he have access to the outside from the garage? Where would he eat from out there, since his food is on the cat tree...isn't that in the house?
It is hot in the summer (when our highs can be in the 90s). Our highs in September are in the 70s, so should be ok. The cat tree is in the garage, and not in the house. The cat flap (which can be locked) is in the garage. Felix currently has access to the outdoors during the day. I bring him in when I get home (he usually follows me in quite happily) and lock the flap. I am undecided about leaving it open while were on vacation. Ideally, I would as I think that being in the garage all day by one's lonesome is pretty boring for a cat. I am not sure however, if Felix could be trusted to come in on his own or to come in for my friend. I don't want him outside at night, as I'm concerned he might get scared or get into a fight with another cat.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So where are the litterboxes? In the garage, or do they have to go outside to go potty? If they have to go outside, that in of itself could pose a problem if you don't think Felix will come back inside for your friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They have litter boxes in the garage.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, gotcha. Now I'm getting the scenario in my brain :lol:. So sounds like you've got plenty of time to try to train them to use the microchip feeders and everything else should work out fine by having your friend come over to give Trixie her wet food twice a day.