What would I call my kitten's colour and pattern?

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know she is considered a domestic shorthair, but what is her colour and pattern? I dont know a great deal about cat phenotypes so I first thought "Smoke" and white after looking at others images on google, but maybe black silver or just dark silver and white is the correct term? And also her tabby markings. She has what looks like "broken classic tabby" rather than broken mackerel tabby pattern. Would this be considered spotted, or is broken classic a thing? 🤔

This is my kitten Akila and her "pyjamas" as I call her coat at home 🥰

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I describe my cat as marble ice cream with
Chocolate chips and brown sprinkles and a dark slivers down her back and a chocolate and green chip for her eyes.

Your cat is probably smoky

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I describe my cat as marble ice cream with
Chocolate chips and brown sprinkles and a dark slivers down her back and a chocolate and green chip for her eyes.

Your cat is probably smoky
😂 She must be a very sweet cat!
And as for mine being smoke, I've read that smokes aren't tabby and Akila has pretty prominent tabby markings. Unless that will change with her adult coat?

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also , apologies for the enormous photos! I didn't realise they'd come up so large.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have photos in natural lighting? Looks totally different in some of these to the point I’m almost questioning if it’s the same kitten 😆 the white matches, but the coat is very different.

looks like a black spotted tabby with white here — is it definitely the same kitten lol?
24454F64-78EB-44B1-A006-88E48804ECD4.jpeg

And a black smoke (solid +inhibitor gene) with tabby ghosting and white in the other two full body pics.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree one pic looks like broken mackerel tabby bicolor with spots- the first one, and another looks like silver tabby almost and another like smoke with the close up of the white roots. She is a cutie 😻

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have photos in natural lighting? Looks totally different in some of these to the point I’m almost questioning if it’s the same kitten 😆 the white matches, but the coat is very different.

looks like a black spotted tabby with white here — is it definitely the same kitten lol?
View attachment 403862
And a black smoke (solid +inhibitor gene) with tabby ghosting and white in the other two full body pics.
Haha! Absolutely the same kitten, though the pic you chose here was when she was a little smaller, her spotting/striping seem to have lightened and stretched out since then.
Also I must admit, my phone does mess with colours by itself...kinda like an "auto filter" which is really frustrating 😅
I have been calling her my little shape shifter because she honestly does look different in every picture and as she grows. Her tabby markings are even asymmetrical to the point where one side of her body is spottier and the other stripier 😂
Here's probably the most accurate I have of what she looks like currently ( I live in England and its very gloomy weather at the moment to get natural light pictures lol)
20211210_165958.jpg 20211210_170106.jpg

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree one pic looks like broken mackerel tabby bicolor with spots- the first one, and another looks like silver tabby almost and another like smoke with the close up of the white roots. She is a cutie 😻
Haha, she is my little shape shifter 🥰. I've added another couple of pics above. Hopefully they're a little easier to spot. My phone does "colour correction" by itself in lower light and its very frustrating. Hopefully they're a little better!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say either silver mackerel bicolor with spots or smoke. Some of her spots look sort of like they are forming rosettes which is odd.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
😂 She must be a very sweet cat!
And as for mine being smoke, I've read that smokes aren't tabby and Akila has pretty prominent tabby markings. Unless that will change with her adult coat?
This is Coco. 5 weeks old now 7 yrs old
Lighting does make a big difference. Her mom was bronze color
69065-018898aa687a176c4aa96a2d3d026761.jpg
received_1916132981949890.jpeg
20170330_082129-COLLAGE.jpg
20201212203045.jpg

Last edited:

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say either silver mackerel bicolor with spots or smoke. Some of her spots look sort of like they are forming rosettes which is odd.
Thank you! And yes, I noticed the sort of rosetteesqe spots. It might be helpful to add that she does have one pedigree parent and is a result of a big whoopsie. She was given to me by a friend. Although, that parent is a Silver classic BSH and I don't think I've ever seen a BSH with rosettes. He's a the neighbour's breeding Tom, who had escaped and gotten into my friend's home during a renovation. Mother is a little brown mackerel tabby moggy (friend didn't know he'd mated with her until it was too late. She has been since spayed and Tom is back with his family)

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Coco. 5 weeks old now 7 yrs old
Lighting does make a big difference. Her mom was bronze color
Aww 🥰 she's absolutely beautiful! She's quite the shapeshifter herself isn't she. Looks quite different in tones in all her pics

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! And yes, I noticed the sort of rosetteesqe spots. It might be helpful to add that she does have one pedigree parent and is a result of a big whoopsie. She was given to me by a friend. Although, that parent is a Silver classic BSH and I don't think I've ever seen a BSH with rosettes. He's a the neighbour's breeding Tom, who had escaped and gotten into my friend's home during a renovation. Mother is a little brown mackerel tabby moggy (friend didn't know he'd mated with her until it was too late. She has been since spayed and Tom is back with his family)
I think her mom loved to have babies. From what I know she mated with a grey striped,and white with grey hearts.and possibly a white cat and brown cat that I saw before the mom

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think her mom loved to have babies. From what I know she mated with a grey striped,and white with grey hearts.and possibly a white cat and brown cat that I saw before the mom
Oh they do, don't they. When they haven't been spayed, my goodness. So many kittens!
I'll be having Akila spayed ASAP because the thought of having an intact lady in my home for any longer than need be worries me to no end.
Especially considering how she came into the world. We came to the conclusion that her father squeezed through a small hole in the wall where the two houses kitchens connect!
Very determined 😳

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe that explains why she is or looks silver then…but not the rosettes part, maybe it is patching and she is a torbie.

Last edited:

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe that explains why she is or looks silver then…but not the rosettes part, maybe it is patching and she is a torbie.
Yeah, makes sense! She did have a silver classic tabby and a very obviously spotted "goldenish" looking tabby in her litter (the other 2 were solid black) but she was black and white when I picked her out, I thought she was a Tuxedo before she grew into her coat 😅. I got another picture of her today in a similar pose to the first picture (without the colour correction my phone does, she doesn't have any warm or brown hues like is seems to show) 20211211_180725.jpg and you can see what I mean about her looking like a "broken classic" tabby haha. I don't think there is such term, but perhaps it's classic with the spotted gene? The rosette looking part in the middle looks like if it wasn't broken up or spotted, she's be a classic tabby? She has the spots in the swirl or oyster like shape. She turned out to have a very interesting coat that seems like it will continue to surprise me as she grows 🥰

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, makes sense! She did have a silver classic tabby and a very obviously spotted "goldenish" looking tabby in her litter (the other 2 were solid black) but she was black and white when I picked her out, I thought she was a Tuxedo before she grew into her coat 😅. I got another picture of her today in a similar pose to the first picture (without the colour correction my phone does, she doesn't have any warm or brown hues like is seems to show) View attachment 403993and you can see what I mean about her looking like a "broken classic" tabby haha. I don't think there is such term, but perhaps it's classic with the spotted gene? The rosette looking part in the middle looks like if it wasn't broken up or spotted, she's be a classic tabby? She has the spots in the swirl or oyster like shape. She turned out to have a very interesting coat that seems like it will continue to surprise me as she grows 🥰
Yes, very unusual pattern she has on her shoulder area too. I am not sure what is going there. She def does not look torbie here, but looks silver. He center part looks like a symbol of some sort on her tummy area.

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, very unusual pattern she has on her shoulder area too. I am not sure what is going there. She def does not look torbie here, but looks silver. He center part looks like a symbol of some sort on her tummy area.
Yes, almost looks like someone scribbled on her shoulders 🤭
I could swear she looks different every day. Maybe it is a symbol and she *is* a magical shape shifter 😂
I guess I'll have to wait and see when she gets her big girl coat. She could look entirely different at this rate!