What Would Be The Best Way For Me To Bring A Little Outdoor Cat Inside To Live With Mine?

khlarson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_1506884843543.jpg IMG_1506885328521.jpg 16114128_1490462370966949_1603735547594187125_n.jpg 15966123_1489928704353649_1835849783585753101_n.jpg I want to bring this little girl cat into my house to stay permanently. She just showed up one night a couple of weeks ago, all skin and bones, and flinching like someone had been hitting her, but desperately wanting to be friends. So I have been feeding her right outside my door, and spending time with her every day, and she is just the sweetest little thing. I'm guessing that she is between 4-6 months old. It is beginning to get cold outside, and although I have made her a little shelter out of an upside down Rubbermaid tub (which is inside of a larger box, with styrofoam in between the box and the tub), I want her inside. Problem is, I already have 2 cats, both males, both fixed. Otis, the younger of the two, I know there will be no problem, he is the nicest cat ever! Has never bitten nor scratched me, loves having his belly rubbed, and his back feet tickled-amazing! Max, on the other hand, he hears her outside the door, and he starts hissing and snarling-at ME!! I am afraid that if I bring her in, he will hurt her. Or is this all just for show? Any suggestions? I am also posting pictures of all three cats so that you will have an idea of what I am working with. Thank you!! PS The first two photos are of the one I want to bring in, the other two are of Otis and Max, and Max by himself, and you can tell that he is a little brat! Lol, when he hisses, he looks like a tiny dragon!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for caring for this sweet girl. First step is a vet visit. She will need tests for kitty diseases, vaccines and most importantly; spayed!

Once she has a clean bill of health, she will need a space of her own. A spare bedroom or bathroom or other room where there is a door and the other cats will not bother her. Allow this to be her safe room. She will need some time to adjust to indoor living. You will need a cozy place for her to sleep as well as a litter box and place for her food and water. Since she sounds so sweet and friendly you may not need to worry about her hiding under furniture. You don't want her under the bed or under/behind large furniture as it's really hard to get cats out.

Allow her time to adjust to indoor living before starting introductions with your other male cats. It is best not to just plop her down and hope for the best. This is often a disaster in the making and ends up prolonging the process.

Here are some links on cat to cat intros as well as a great video.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions

Cat Care

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Best of luck with bringing her in! She sounds like she will make a very sweet addition to your household.

The safe room is the way to go. Your hissy male cat will need time to adjust to the newcomer, but he will with time. Don't let this stop you from bringing her in. :)