what will my male cat think when my girl cat has kittens

stax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are siblings i got them both from the same litter when they were kittens. Girlkitty is about to have her first kittens. Boykitty is staying outside more often than usual. I'm not sure who knocked up Girlkitty (hopefully not Boykitty). I'm concerned that Boykitty will eventually leave and not come back (he's not fixed).

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I can guarantee it was the boy cat that got the girl cat pregnant. As they are siblings this is a very bad idea for obvious reasons.

You should keep the boy cat away from the kittens when they are born. Male cats that are not neutered have been known to KILL kittens.

Also your female cat could come back into heat and get pregnant again by your boy cat in as little as two weeks after giving birth. This will happen again and again and again until you have her spayed - poor little thing not much of a life to just keep giving birth continually over and over.

Yes your boy cat will most likely wander off and never come come in his search for more females. Neutering will stop this happening.

So please get your cats neutered and spayed for both of their benefit

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boykitty COULD be the father, it's happened before! Having him fixed should be a priority right now, it's a lot cheaper then a spaying, and you really don't want to go through the spraying, the fights, the yowling and the possible leaving. It makes them a LOT nicer cat to be around. Then PLEASE save to spay your Girlkitty, I guarantee it will drive you crazy when she yowls 24/7 when she is in heat. Also, my female had 17 kittens in one year before I spayed her, that's a LOT of homes to find! Since your boy is an intact male it is not uncommon for them to kill the male kittens, so keep a close eye out. My neutered boy thought the kittens were great fun, he even carried one in to us in the middle of the night! Good luck and I pray you have a happy healthy litter, keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advise. I live in a rural area so my cats are inside/outside. There are other male and female cats around and i heard that siblings don't usually mate with each other if there are other willing unrelated cats around. I'm pretty broke right now with no job or i would get them fixed. We do have lots of mice/rats around so people around here like our cats.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Even if you could only get your female spayed it would be best and kindest thing just for her.

I can 100% tell you that what you were told about sibling not mating with each other if other unrelated males are around - is totally rubbish !!! That is not true at all.

Cats have no sense of who they are related to and in fact they are more likely to mate with a cat they know than a strange cat. So really you could say the complete opposite is true

stax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow. Then it just might be Boykitty's. if so, will the kittens be deformed or "retarded"?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring for these babies, sometimes we have to do with what we've got. I pray you'll find a good job, and in the meantime enjoy your cats! Good Luck! PS. your kittens should be fine, it might emphasize all the 'good' qualities of your cats too. It would take a lot more inbreeding then that to actually make your kittens strange.

Last edited:

stax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless you for caring for these babies, sometimes we have to do with what we've got. I pray you'll find a good job, and in the meantime enjoy your cats! Good Luck!

stax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for Your note Di and Bob!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
These kittens should be ok. But if these kittens grow up and are allowed to mate with each other or their own mom or dad. The kittens resulting from these matings are where you will get problems with deformities and health problems.

stax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to you all for your advise.