What will color could they be

fluf muf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have a pregnant tortie queen, and I'm wondering what color the kittens will be.The father is a light gray tabby.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any color :D. Torties have the widest range of colors they can pass on to the kittens. The girls will be tortie or dark, no reds. The boys will be red or dark. Some might have the dilute gene like dad. Probably not a lot of tabbies unless the mom is a torbie, but you never know what they're carrying. They'll have about as much white (if any) as the parents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluf muf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much, my friend just caught a stray that's also pregnant, she is a beautiful long haired blue tabby, and we're pretty sure the father is a black Tom that has been prowling around.Any ideas on what their children will look like.My friend is really hoping for a tortoiseshell,but I don't think that's possible.What do you think?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. In order to have a tortoiseshell, one parent needs to have some red. Maybe a red tom got to her too. . .never know until they're born! :D

fluf muf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks :D,we're both looking forward to it, I'm going to keep a kitten from each litter.Can't wait,you've been so nice.

There's just one last question I have to ask:is it possible for a tortie to have a female ginger kitten if the father isn't ginger?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope! Females get one color gene from each parent, so if she gets the red from the mama and the daddy isn't also red, she'll be tortie instead. Every red female has a red daddy and a red or tortie mama.

fluf muf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh, thank you, do you know any good books or sites on cat genetics? I would like to learn more about it but can't find any good references.

Last edited: