what way would be cheaper dry diet or wet diet only or both?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Freeze-dried raw is good (if you rehydrate it), but it's crazy expensive. Even allowing for water weight added back in, it's still something like $12 a pound. I buy it from www.doggiefood.com or on Amazon but only for a treat.

If you rent you can make your landlord fix the wiring. Or, if you have a garage it might be on a different breaker (mine is) and there's usually fewer things plugged in in the garage, so that might be an option.
no landloard and no garage -_- and thats allot for just 1lbs how many servings is in it?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, depends how often you feed it :tongue2:. For daily meals, I assume it would be 4-5 ounces per day like most raw, so a pound would be 3-4 servings. Like I said, crazy expensive. You pay for convenience.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is a breaker problem we are plaining on getting it fixed but don't know when yet thanks
You may want to consider fixing it soon. As Willowy mentioned, you pay for convenience. Premixes are pricey as well, but I believe they are still cheaper than commercial raw food.

Another thing that helps me reduce costs is watching for buy-one-get-one sales on chicken thighs. Those are in the freezer as well; I thaw them out in a sink full of cold water the night before food making.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to consider fixing it soon. As Willowy mentioned, you pay for convenience. Premixes are pricey as well, but I believe they are still cheaper than commercial raw food.

Another thing that helps me reduce costs is watching for buy-one-get-one sales on chicken thighs. Those are in the freezer as well; I thaw them out in a sink full of cold water the night before food making.
so you leave it in the sink all night? and we are plaining on getting it fixed soon its mostly a money issue thing right now, and the power whent out as i was typing this -_-

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so you leave it in the sink all night? and we are plaining on getting it fixed soon its mostly a money issue thing right now, and the power whent out as i was typing this -_-
Yep! They are seriously frozen when I take them out of the freezer. I put them in the sink then fill the sink with cold water. Next day they're totally thawed out and ready to be seared for cat food. Liver is cheap and never on sale in my area so I just buy it that day. I get the supplements from iherb.com.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! They are seriously frozen when I take them out of the freezer. I put them in the sink then fill the sink with cold water. Next day they're totally thawed out and ready to be seared for cat food. Liver is cheap and never on sale in my area so I just buy it that day. I get the supplements from iherb.com.
Oh that's cool would it hurt the meat id i put it in the fridge over night? or well it still be frozen and don't your cats try to pick at the chicken when you are sleeping?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that's cool would it hurt the meat id i put it in the fridge over night? or well it still be frozen and don't your cats try to pick at the chicken when you are sleeping?
It takes longer to thaw it in the fridge but perfectly fine to do so. Maybe 3 days in the fridge? I did it that way initially but now prefer the sink method. Be sure to use cold water, not hot. If you have a big container, you might could speed things up by putting the thighs in it with cold water and putting that in the fridge?

Oddly enough my cats leave the thighs alone when in the sink. They are still in their packages but cats can still smell it. Cats will go after liver so I keep that in the fridge.

Anne at catnutrition.org has a picture tutorial on how to make the food. I lightly sear the thighs and liver in a 550 degree oven to kill surface bacteria, then stop the cooking process by placing the hot chicken in ice water until cool.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes longer to thaw it in the fridge but perfectly fine to do so. Maybe 3 days in the fridge? I did it that way initially but now prefer the sink method. Be sure to use cold water, not hot. If you have a big container, you might could speed things up by putting the thighs in it with cold water and putting that in the fridge?

Oddly enough my cats leave the thighs alone when in the sink. They are still in their packages but cats can still smell it. Cats will go after liver so I keep that in the fridge.

Anne at catnutrition.org has a picture tutorial on how to make the food. I lightly sear the thighs and liver in a 550 degree oven to kill surface bacteria, then stop the cooking process by placing the hot chicken in ice water until cool.
oh i'll have to use a container my cats LOVE the sink -_- weird i'll check the site out later I was plaining on buying some meat at the store to give as a treat for now since my freezer is SO small:p

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thaw meat in the fridge. It takes about 3 days but it works. Except for whole chickens. They must take a week because every time I used a whole chicken I ended up grinding it partially frozen.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thaw meat in the fridge. It takes about 3 days but it works. Except for whole chickens. They must take a week because every time I used a whole chicken I ended up grinding it partially frozen.
hahaha thats funny have you ever thought to cut the whole chicken in chunks or servings and store it in a freezer safe food storage? like a ziplock? thats what i would do

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah but I buy them frozen, at Sam's Club. So I would need a table saw. . .:tongue2:. If bought fresh, that would be a good idea. But I'm not buying any more whole chickens anyway, because thighs are way easier.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah but I buy them frozen, at Sam's Club. So I would need a table saw. . .
. If bought fresh, that would be a good idea. But I'm not buying any more whole chickens anyway, because thighs are way easier.
Oh I see that's a pretty good idea is sams club cheaper then any other store? like in cat litter or anything like houshould items

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I went through that in another thread. For meat, yes, Sam's prices are very good. For pet supplies, not so much, and the selection is terrible. For household goods, it's high-end stuff, so not rock-bottom prices, but less than you'd pay for high-end products elsewhere.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Sam's Club and anything like it are over an hour away from me, I shop locally. I watch for the buy one get one sales on chicken thighs. I buy eggs in the 2.5 dozen flats to reduce that cost too. I go to a Family Dollar Store for Cat's Pride clumping litter; it's $2.50 gor a 14 lb bag.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Sam's Club and anything like it are over an hour away from me, I shop locally. I watch for the buy one get one sales on chicken thighs. I buy eggs in the 2.5 dozen flats to reduce that cost too. I go to a Family Dollar Store for Cat's Pride clumping litter; it's $2.50 gor a 14 lb bag.
really 2.50 for 14lbs wow thats allot cheaper then biglots is the family dollar store the same store of dollar genarel DG?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
really 2.50 for 14lbs wow thats allot cheaper then biglots is the family dollar store the same store of dollar genarel DG?
That's a different chain, but in any case shop around your area to see what deals ypu can find.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a different chain, but in any case shop around your area to see what deals ypu can find.
the most deal i found for kitty clumping litter is 7.50 for 28lbs at big lots and yah i'm still looking any who i'm thinking about upping the wet intake and decreasing the kibble for my cats :) until i figure out how to do the wet and raw thing