What type of tabby?

craftymelli

My Mom's kitty, I'm the sister😊
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my Mom's cat, Sasha. I was wondering what type of tabby she is? Mom adopted her at our local animal shelter. They said she was a brown and white tabby, DSH. But She isn't brown in color at all.

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What a gorgeous cat! :loveeyes:

For some unknown reason Brown is the term used in the cat fancy to describe tabby cats that are genetically black. Some of them do have a warmer undertone that make them look brownish.

So using the official terminology your mom's kitty is a Brown Mackerel Tabby and White. Mackerel simply describes the stripes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

craftymelli

My Mom's kitty, I'm the sister😊
Young Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous cat! :loveeyes:

For some unknown reason Brown is the term used in the cat fancy to describe tabby cats that are genetically black. Some of them do have a warmer undertone that make them look brownish.

So using the official terminology your mom's kitty is a Brown Mackerel Tabby and White. Mackerel simply describes the stripes.
Thanks so much for your help!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just want to add, some DO take consequence of this brown is really black-based, and they say outright black tabby.... Possibly it depends on what association is your starting point.

So, your girls description is fully correct. Brown mackerel tabby with white.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my Mom's cat, Sasha. I was wondering what type of tabby she is? Mom adopted her at our local animal shelter. They said she was a brown and white tabby, DSH. But She isn't brown in color at all.
She is beautiful 😻 I would say dsh brown tabby tuxedo bicolor 😀 It looks like she has some spots in one photo but prolly mackerel or broken mackerel for the pattern.

As for the color, I am not sure why it is called brown tabby in some cat groups and by many people when many look mostly black( the darker stripes) but many do have warm brown and red tones as well as the black due to the agouti hairs I think which have reddish bands of color. There are also blue tabbies which is really grey which is the dilution of black, so the names don’t always fit what the color looks like to many. But I can see grey as blue more now.

Cat coat: tabby and genetics — The Little Carnivore

Last edited: