what type of tabby pattern is this?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This was my cat andromeda when she was a young girlcat. she passed in early 2023 I know she was a tabby but what pattern of tabby would this be called? just looking at old photos of her and realized I wasn't really sure. is it an overgrown whorl pattern? she wasn't striped it seems like other than front legs and face.
P1130750.JPG

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Andromeda was very pretty! Based on just that one pic, I think she may have been a torbie with white DLH. That is a tortoiseshell and tabby mix. I say that because there doesn't appear to be any distinct pattern to her coloring. She might have even been considered a dilute torbie because her colors are muted - softer and less extreme than non-diluted torbies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. Andromeda was very pretty! Based on just that one pic, I think she may have been a torbie with white DLH. That is a tortoiseshell and tabby mix. I say that because there doesn't appear to be any distinct pattern to her coloring. She might have even been considered a dilute torbie because her colors are muted - softer and less extreme than non-diluted torbies.

she was a pure bred maine coon :) I did always wonder if she had some calico tho because she did have a very light orange in her coat that seemed warmer than the tannish elsewhere. I was never sure if that was a rust or a orange. lol.
054.jpg

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think your very pretty gorgous girl was a classic tabby. and yes, possibly also a tortie, which would make her a classic torbie with white.

I looked up maine coon with classic torbie and white and a lot of the pics do look very similar. she never had the clear red/ orange that some of those cats do but she did have a warm dilutish orange in her coat for sure.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if these will help but these are her as a kitten. I know normal cats don't change color as they get older but she seems to have.

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was my cat andromeda when she was a young girlcat. she passed in early 2023 I know she was a tabby but what pattern of tabby would this be called? just looking at old photos of her and realized I wasn't really sure. is it an overgrown whorl pattern? she wasn't striped it seems like other than front legs and face. View attachment 467447
She is a brown classic tabby with white and no she has absolutely no red gene in her so not a torbie in any way.
The lighter colour variations you see in her fur is called tarnishing which is very common in maine coons as they have very dense fur that never stops growing until about 4 to 5 years. This is more like a reddish hue that the fur develops in the ends and on immediate impression it looks like the red gene but it can only be considered torbie or tortie if the colour starts at the tips which will obviously be observed at birth and as they grow.

I once saw a male maine coon stud with an insane amount of tarnishing that I mistakened it to be a black silver torbie (aka calico). I later found out that he was a breeding male and the "red" we see is just tarnishing. You can look it up if you're interested to know more; cat genetics are so fun😍

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry for your losd. What a gorgeous girl. I don't know much about coat colors (I am not even sure what my latest kitten's markings would make him), but your girl certainly was beautiful.