What type of siamese is my cat?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Einstein has the colorpoint gene, which Siamese are famous for. It gives them the blue eyes and heat sensitive coloring making their cooler areas, their points, show more color. Rescues and shelters often label short hair colorpoint as Siamese and long hair colorpoint as Ragdoll simply to put a label on them. In reality, all colorpoints do have a distant ancestor that was Siamese on both sides of their family tree since it takes the recessive gene from both sides to make a colorpoint cat. However, an actual Siamese has to have a little closer and little more defined relationship.

Einstein is a lovely lynx (tabby striped) colorpoint with white. The white on his face and feet will likely stay white but anywhere that has color will darken as he gets older.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seal tabby point & white domestic shorthair, shelters often incorrectly put breed names on domestics.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Siamese mix is a fair enough description. Doesnt meaning he has a siamese as near Ancestor, but simply, a point of unknown ancestry.
To say it in plain, a domestic, a moggie.

Lynx point and white domestic is correct.

The question, what is the basic color? Seal? I think if he were seal for real, he would be even blacker already now. Especielly, as seal points with white tend to darken up even quicker. Why, I dont know, but there is a clear tendency...

So my bet will be, he is a blue lynx point and white. blue, ie diluted black; getting a grey nuance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amy90rd0n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Siamese mix is a fair enough description. Doesnt meaning he has a siamese as near Ancestor, but simply, a point of unknown ancestry.
To say it in plain, a domestic, a moggie.

Lynx point and white domestic is correct.

The question, what is the basic color? Seal? I think if he were seal for real, he would be even blacker already now. Especielly, as seal points with white tend to darken up even quicker. Why, I dont know, but there is a clear tendency...

So my bet will be, he is a blue lynx point and white. blue, ie diluted black; getting a grey nuance.
Thank you. I was kind of shocked when the shelter and 2 vets told me he was a siamese mix. I just thought he a cutie lol very interesting and I thank you for you help. He does seem very white for a siamese, and I was so curious as to where his pink nose came from.

Amy90rd0n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Einstein has the colorpoint gene, which Siamese are famous for. It gives them the blue eyes and heat sensitive coloring making their cooler areas, their points, show more color. Rescues and shelters often label short hair colorpoint as Siamese and long hair colorpoint as Ragdoll simply to put a label on them. In reality, all colorpoints do have a distant ancestor that was Siamese on both sides of their family tree since it takes the recessive gene from both sides to make a colorpoint cat. However, an actual Siamese has to have a little closer and little more defined relationship.

Einstein is a lovely lynx (tabby striped) colorpoint with white. The white on his face and feet will likely stay white but anywhere that has color will darken as he gets older.
Thank you. He just recently started getting stripes on his legs. I was wondering if his face would darken up more. I guess we'll see.. He's one of the smartest cats I've ever had and his personality is so much like a siamese even if he's just slightly siamese haha. Thanks for your help

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He does seem very white for a siamese, and I was so curious as to where his pink nose came from.
This is my white heavy 7 year old seal point with white cat. She has a pink nose too because her white is on her nose giving her no pigment there.

20210906_082116.jpg

This is my 8 year old boy and you can see he has less white and a seal (black) spot on his nose so his nose is half black.

20210906_082238.jpg

My guess is Einstein is white heavy. If he didn't have colorpoint I think he'd be one of tabby cats who look like they have a tabby saddle. But the coloring can darken greatly over their lives. My boy was barely colored when I first got him but has gotten pretty dark over the last 8 years. He was light enough I couldn't tell what was white until he was a few months old and the difference between white and color started to show and now he is practically black in many spots. Take lots of photos because the time-lapse can truly be something to look back on.

Amy90rd0n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my white heavy 7 year old seal point with white cat. She has a pink nose too because her white is on her nose giving her no pigment there.

View attachment 401514

This is my 8 year old boy and you can see he has less white and a seal (black) spot on his nose so his nose is half black.

View attachment 401515

My guess is Einstein is white heavy. If he didn't have colorpoint I think he'd be one of tabby cats who look like they have a tabby saddle. But the coloring can darken greatly over their lives. My boy was barely colored when I first got him but has gotten pretty dark over the last 8 years. He was light enough I couldn't tell what was white until he was a few months old and the difference between white and color started to show and now he is practically black in many spots. Take lots of photos because the time-lapse can truly be something to look back on.
Omg they are gorgeous! Thank you for posting pics. I've been searching Google for a picture of a siamese with a pink nose. Einstein has a tiny bit of black inside his right nostril. I think i have more pictures of him than I do of my children on my phone 🤦‍♀️

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Omg they are gorgeous! Thank you for posting pics. I've been searching Google for a picture of a siamese with a pink nose. Einstein has a tiny bit of black inside his right nostril. I think i have more pictures of him than I do of my children on my phone 🤦‍♀️
Look for "Tabby Snowshoe Siamese" and you'll see some that might be similar to Einstein grown up. My two are snowshoe lookalikes and so will be most of the cats labeled snowshoe since it's a pretty rare purebred to find but pretty common moggy appearance. So a lot of people think they have snowshoe when really they have the inspiration for snowshoe. But I digress, you're welcome and welcome to the "more photos of my pets" club.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted my cat from a shelter and they said he's a siamese mix. What kid of siamese does he look like the most? Thank you for any help. View attachment 401479
Einstein is adorable 😻 I would call him a dsh lynxpoint bicolor, it looks like he has mittens and little booties & the typical white on the face that you see in some ragdoll bicolors. He def has siamese ancestry somewhere down the line that is where the points came from. I googled lynx point snowshoe and there are pics of what he may look like. Usually the paws are darker in color points but the white is blocking it prolly. I think he looks seal because his tail is very dark, or you could say brown tabby who have black stripes. Time will tell how dark the rest of him may be, I think his white areas will stay white.

My Quinn is a pb sealpoint siamese, you can see he is much darker on his pointed areas, really what I would call dark brown, not black. He has no white.
snowshoe lynx point siamese

link with some pics of ragdoll bicolor lynxpoints, some are not bicolor here though and have the full pattern on their face.
ragdoll seal lynx point bicolor - Google Search

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Einstein's very cute! Our two cats (in my avatar photo) also have some sort of Siamese ancestry, though the shelter where we adopted them didn't have much background about their previous situation. The cats were about 10 months old in the photo and Ireland (the lynx point, on the left) has darkened considerably over the years. (We adopted the cats almost exactly eight years ago.) Edwina, the cat on the right has sealpoint color that fits the snowshoe pattern.

Here's a more recent photo that shows Edwina's snowshoe front paws (her back paws are white, too) and Ireland's stripes.
1638980383838.png

Attachments