What to with cats during apartment fire inspection

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I live in an apartment. I just moved into this complex from my previous complex this summer. I just received a message that we are having a mandatory fire inspection. At my previous place we were just told to keep our pets in a secure room. In this apartment they are telling us to either remove our pets or to kennel them so they can have access to all rooms. They will be sounding building alarms and checking the sprinklers.

I'm not happy with this. First of all, the notice is very short. Second, it doesn't seem like we can put the pets in a bathroom or a large walk in closet (I'll verify on the closet tomorrow - my closet is bigger than my guest bathroom).

If the closet is a no go, these are my alternatives:
1. Day board the 2 cats at a pet boarding place across the street from my job. I can drop them on the way in and pick them up after.
2. Get a couple of wire kennels and hope it's big enough for litterbox and bowls. I wouldn't leave them together all day in that small space unsupervised with alarms going off. The girls aren't that close.
3. Get 2 soft sided kennels, same situation.

Any way I look it, the girls are going to be confined and possibly traumatized for 1 to 3 days (since I'm building 5, hopefully I'll be done first day). Plus I either have to pay to board them, or buy 2 kennels.

To me, the closet would be the least of the problems. The girls are still home, and the clothing will insulate the sound. But they may not allow it.

I don't know what to do.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first question is, why can't they tell you exactly which day your unit will be inspected?

I have been renting for almost 20 years, and I would absolutely demand to know a specific day that my unit would be entered (it sounds like they gave you a block of days and haven't told you anything specific?).

Second, is your apartment complex both cat + dog? If they are saying "please remove pets" I wonder if that is just because of dogs (injury liability, etc.).

Personally, I would start by trying to get more details about when your unit will be entered. And I'd loudly complain if they claim they don't know. Like I said, I've been renting apartments for a long time, and I've found that even when I have a decent landlord, everything is a battle. Don't be afraid to complain and request more info.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So I live in an apartment. I just moved into this complex from my previous complex this summer. I just received a message that we are having a mandatory fire inspection. At my previous place we were just told to keep our pets in a secure room. In this apartment they are telling us to either remove our pets or to kennel them so they can have access to all rooms. They will be sounding building alarms and checking the sprinklers.

I'm not happy with this. First of all, the notice is very short. Second, it doesn't seem like we can put the pets in a bathroom or a large walk in closet (I'll verify on the closet tomorrow - my closet is bigger than my guest bathroom).

If the closet is a no go, these are my alternatives:
1. Day board the 2 cats at a pet boarding place across the street from my job. I can drop them on the way in and pick them up after.
2. Get a couple of wire kennels and hope it's big enough for litterbox and bowls. I wouldn't leave them together all day in that small space unsupervised with alarms going off. The girls aren't that close.
3. Get 2 soft sided kennels, same situation.

Any way I look it, the girls are going to be confined and possibly traumatized for 1 to 3 days (since I'm building 5, hopefully I'll be done first day). Plus I either have to pay to board them, or buy 2 kennels.

To me, the closet would be the least of the problems. The girls are still home, and the clothing will insulate the sound. But they may not allow it.

I don't know what to do.
Since my cats run off and hide whenever a stranger comes in I don't worry about it. Unless the leasing office stops by and searches my apt thoroughly, maybe hours, they will never know. You could buy kennels. Maybe they will be needed in the future.or borrow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first question is, why can't they tell you exactly which day your unit will be inspected?

I have been renting for almost 20 years, and I would absolutely demand to know a specific day that my unit would be entered (it sounds like they gave you a block of days and haven't told you anything specific?).

Second, is your apartment complex both cat + dog? If they are saying "please remove pets" I wonder if that is just because of dogs (injury liability, etc.).

Personally, I would start by trying to get more details about when your unit will be entered. And I'd loudly complain if they claim they don't know. Like I said, I've been renting apartments for a long time, and I've found that even when I have a decent landlord, everything is a battle. Don't be afraid to complain and request more info.
I'm hoping I can find out more tomorrow morning. I didn't get the notice until after the office was closed. If I'm lucky it'll be on day 1 since I'm building 5 out of 20+. If alarms are going off, they may be concerned about pets going crazy or trying to escape. The apartment has all kinds of pets. The letter is very generic.

Since my cats run off and hide whenever a stranger comes in I don't worry about it. Unless the leasing office stops by and searches my apt thoroughly, maybe hours, they will never know. You could buy kennels. Maybe they will be needed in the future.or borrow
Delilah hides. Fancy is very social and demands scritches from anyone who enters.

It would be great if we had more of a time frame. If I knew my building would be done before my lunch period, if they were in kennels I could run home and let them out lunch time. Otherwise they'll be in until I can get home.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my cats run off and hide whenever a stranger comes in I don't worry about it.
I do the same -- however, my apartment is in a large building, and there is an enclosed hallway outside. So when e.g. a maintenance person enters my apartment, I don't have to worry about my cat escaping outside.

If my apartment had a door that went outside, I'd worry about strangers entering and possibly letting him out.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So.... got off the phone with my leasing office.

1. Pets must be crated or off the premises.
2. There is a high chance my building will be done tomorrow and not have to go to Thursday.
3. They said they could let the girls out of the crate when they're done.

While the crates would be one option, and I know Delilah would dart under the bed and Fancy would demand scritches if they were let out, there is no hallway. My apartment goes directly outside.

I'm greatly considering the pet daycare because I can drop them off and pick them up. Also I think I need to develop a relationship with them in case of other situations. Back in August they were exterminating in the apartments and they recommended pets not be in the apartment due to fumes. Since I had covid and was under quarantine, they couldn't exterminate in my apartment. If a situation comes up where I have to remove the girls on a workday, this would be my best option. I can't take them to my brother's house except in dire emergency. His wife is highly allergic and he has a dog that's never been around cats. I'm going to stop at the pet daycare after work and if I'm not satisfied, then I'll get a couple of crates.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3. They said they could let the girls out of the crate when they're done.

While the crates would be one option, and I know Delilah would dart under the bed and Fancy would demand scritches if they were let out, there is no hallway. My apartment goes directly outside.

I'm greatly considering the pet daycare because I can drop them off and pick them up.
I think I would do the day care option myself, if I could afford it.

I haven't been on TCS for very long, but I've read enough horror stories about cats accidentally escaping or being let outside. And sometimes, a cat might not intend to run away, but can become spooked by something, bolt, and then get lost outside.

Even when someone is very careful, cats can be so quick and slippery. I just wouldn't trust someone I don't know to handle the situation the right way, even if I am ultimately just worrying too much. It would be worth the money to me to make sure my cat was someplace where I could have guarantees.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a great deal of good advice here. Personally, I would board them because I would not want anyone letting my cats out of the crates using whatever their idea of common sense is. When I installed central air/heating in this house, my cats were confined to one bedroom which had a window unit...which the workers removed without even asking me if the place was secured or if I wanted them to remove it. The idea of alarms going off also bothers me. That can be so hugely upsetting to animals with sensitive ears. I don't know what kind of alarm system your building uses, but it might not be a quick on/off test.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely leaning towards the day care. They said it's $37 for day care for the 2. I'm going to go check them out once school is out. Even in crates with the alarm tests might be too much.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely leaning towards the day care. They said it's $37 for day care for the 2. I'm going to go check them out once school is out. Even in crates with the alarm tests might be too much.
You are also paying for your own peace of mind, if you go with this route. You are getting something for yourself, besides for your cats' safety... not having to worry about this problem. I'd pay $37 for that, personally.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are also paying for your own peace of mind, if you go with this route. You are getting something for yourself, besides for your cats' safety... not having to worry about this problem. I'd pay $37 for that, personally.
The girls are at the pet day care across the street. I'm a hot mess. Didn't help that Delilah meowed the entire time we drove there. They have a pet cam so I can check on them. I'll probably have it running in the background all day. I hope we're not having a mega meeting today after school. I need to pick them up, take them home, then go to occupational therapy. Though in retrospect, it might be better to leave them there an extra hour (I have to pick them up by 7) than to rush them home and dump them there and then leave.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If they settle, it might be less stress on all of you if you can leave them until the end of your day. The cats may not be thrilled to be there, but if everything looks fine just remember why you are doing this. They aren’t going to be there for two weeks while you take a vacation and they will be home soon enough.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The plot thickens, and my stress levels are through the roof. The notice I received says "If you have an attached garage, please be sure the deadbolt is left unlocked, so we are able to gain access." Everyone who read that agrees with me that based on that statement, the deadbolt between the garage and the apartment is what should be opened. I get a call saying they couldn't get into my apartment and they'd have to reschedule. It turns out that they wanted the FRONT DOOR deadbolt. So I'm having a meltdown, almost in tears, and they agreed that if I could get it unlocked, they'd try to get in today. Lunch break, I literally sped from work to my apartment and back. I just can't put the girls through this another day, and after this, I would only day board them in extreme need circumstances (like this). My nerves can't take it. My nerves are shot and I cancelled my occupational therapy so that I could pick them up immediately after work, then come home and snuggle them.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: You are doing a great job for your girls -just the kind of family all us rescuers pray for our rescues. Enjoy some relaxing tea and comforting your kitties. Try to remind yourself that you "are made of tough stuff" and that as Leader of the Pack, you radiate bold calmness and security, the "Queen Elizabeth II" for your family.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that this all got so confusing with the misworded statement that was given to residents. Hopefully this one upsetting day will be over and you and your babies will be able to have a relaxing evening.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, now for the finale.

The person I spoke to at the apartment told me that they didn't get to my apartment and it would be the next day. I picked up the girls on Wednesday and reserved another day. Just before 6, the assistant manager called me and told me they did get to my apartment, so I cancelled the boarding and went about Thursday as normal (I complained about the short notice and the poor wording of the letter). For some weird reason I decided to leave my front door deadbolt unlocked when I left (bottom lock was on), but the girls had free roam of the apartment.

I came home yesterday to find a note on the table where I keep the kitty bowls (next to the front door by the window) that said they'd been in my apartment for the inspection! Oh, the girls were just fine apparently with whatever they did. If it's a typical situation, Delilah would have hid under the bed and Fancy would've made a nuisance of herself demanding attention. Still, the management told me this had been done the day before!

I'm really hoping this isn't how the apartment complex is being run... I just moved there and I'm not in the mood to spend another summer moving apartments.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Hopefully this one upsetting day will be over and you and your babies will be able to have a relaxing evening.
So, quoting myself, that apparently did not happen. This is infuriating and I would be beside myself for several reason, not the least that at the end of this whole saga then ended up entering your apartment NOT on schedule with your cats at large.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be beside myself for several reason, not the least that at the end of this whole saga then ended up entering your apartment NOT on schedule with your cats at large.
No kidding. This whole saga is beyond ridiculous.

Also, am I missing something here? How does the owner of this building not have keys to all the locks in the apartment? Or are we talking about a deadbolt that does not have a key on the outside, and can only be manipulated by hand on the inside?

If the latter is the case, that is a ridiculously poor decision on the part of any landlord who rents a unit. Having a lock that they can't open makes no sense.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Every apartment I've been in has an upper deadbolt that can only be opened from the inside. Texas apartments are usually shorter max 3 story small buildings with entrances to outdoors. I always try to get an attached garage. My old complex usually entered through the garage, which never caused a problem.

I'm giving this complex 2 years... mostly because I just moved in the end of July and I'd like to take a vacation this summer instead of moving, and I love the location. This may have been a 1 off because someone forgot to put in the words "front door" into the notice. I'm hoping that's the case.