What To Feed Toothless Cat?

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my siamese cat who is just one year old has stomatitis and the vet said the best solution is a full teeth extraction. When she has no teeth can eating wet food still cause inflamation on her gums? Also should i use a toothpaste for her gums?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would offer her wet and dry food and see what she prefers. Also you could water down the wet food and see how that goes over. I wouldn't worry about what to feed her as long as she eats. Thats rough to have no teeth so young. I might be able to get one of those rubber finger toothbrush things to rub cat toothpaste on her gums sure. I can't imagine that would hurt any.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a young tom that lost all his teeth. After his gums healed he had no trouble eating dry food. Cats don't chew their food very much.

Hope he does well. Keep us updated!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I understand your concern but your cat should be able to eat without too much difficulty after having her teeth extracted. You may want to refer to this TCS Article which discusses how cats manage without their teeth:
Can Cats Manage Without Their Teeth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The extraction is done a few hours ago. Now she has glaucoma. Its probably because of anesthesia. Its her 3rd anesthesia in this month. The vet said it was ok but it wasnt. Her eyes are cloudy, can only be opened slightly and very swollen. I wish I didnt let her get a surgery. I feel so sad for her and guilty

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you already had a vet look at her eyes? Is it possibly temporary due to the anesthesia/swelling? You just need to make sure that any pain from this is being treated - as well as the swelling - pronto. If this is permanent, the cat will adapt very well and very quickly - much better and faster than humans. It is possible with immediate treatment for the swelling some sight can be regained, if not all.

As far as the tooth extraction - until the gums are fully healed she should be eating only wet food. Once healing is complete, you can try dry and/or dry with water to moisten it. She will adapt well to this also.

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you already had a vet look at her eyes? Is it possibly temporary due to the anesthesia/swelling? You just need to make sure that any pain from this is being treated - as well as the swelling - pronto. If this is permanent, the cat will adapt very well and very quickly - much better and faster than humans. It is possible with immediate treatment for the swelling some sight can be regained, if not all.

As far as the tooth extraction - until the gums are fully healed she should be eating only wet food. Once healing is complete, you can try dry and/or dry with water to moisten it. She will adapt well to this also.
She didnt have any problem with her eyes or vision before the surgery for teeth extraction. Vet said that she has glaucoma after the surgery. She said it was probably inherited as shes siamese and the anesthesia may have triggered it. She said to come for check after a week for her eyes. I really hope it just heals on its own in a week if theres such a possibility at all.

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes pain med is given for her teeth already but nothing for the swelling.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would ask the vet about the swelling and what could be given to her to help that aspect. Relieving some of the pressure by reducing the swelling can only help the odds of at least partial vision returning. How could it possibly hurt? Perhaps, the vet will explain why it isn't necessary or appropriate, but I sure would be asking about it to find out.

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also its been nearly 8 hours but shes still just sleeping. Thats what she looks like its so sad to see her like this. She has such beautiful eyes and would always look at me with lively, happy eyes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Knowing what she has been through, she still looks very pretty to me!!! Trust me, once she can get past the pain, and the swelling reduces (even, if it has to happen without medical help), she will be much less concerned overall than you!

She is young, which is sad that this has happened to her - but because of her youth, she will adapt amazingly fast. Once she has recuperated, this whole thing will bother you ten-fold compared to how she will feel about it.

I am sure it is hard to think of it in that manner, right now. :alright: But, be confident of her recovery and supportive of her needs; she needs to feel good vibes from you while she heals. :vibes:

ladybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Knowing what she has been through, she still looks very pretty to me!!! Trust me, once she can get past the pain, and the swelling reduces (even, if it has to happen without medical help), she will be much less concerned overall than you!

She is young, which is sad that this has happened to her - but because of her youth, she will adapt amazingly fast. Once she has recuperated, this whole thing will bother you ten-fold compared to how she will feel about it.

I am sure it is hard to think of it in that manner, right now. :alright: But, be confident of her recovery and supportive of her needs; she needs to feel good vibes from you while she heals. :vibes:
Thank you for your support. I hope she will be healthy and happy again soon.