What To Expect After Being Spayed

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi i have a bit of a dumb question while not dumb but im a bit of a nervous mama right now. Today three of my females got spayed. Its been years since ive had a female spayed so im over thinking things. So far their doing great they have all woken up pretty no longer really stumbling any more and have eaten some and had a bit of water. Sami seems today have forgiven me and let me hold her (lets just say there was a battle over being crated). However this is the first time ive spayed while in heat and im unsure what to expect.

1. How long does it take for their hormones to level out?

2. Will they act as if their in heat until their levels even out?

3. Maybe its a trick of my mind but they look skinnyer then before being fixed?
4. Why is there such a big difference in their weight by my scale then the vets scale? mine has them 6 pounds or over but the vets has Ally just under six while ami and Sami are under 5. They didn't say anything but i feel like that very unddr weight for 2 yrs or 10 mos. I'm i worrying over nothing and its just the difference in scales or what

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't know the answers to #1 or #2, although every cat is different. How are they today?
Were they in the vets office for a long time, in other words did they miss a meal or two? Are they still looking skinny? Is their fur oily at all and is that making them look different? --maybe use a cat wipe or a damp cloth on their backs and sides.
I get frustrated with the difference in scales whether for my weight or my cat's weight to what the doc's scale reads out.
For your purposes, take a look at this chart - number five is what you're aiming for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are doing great today (im doing a transport tomorrow morning? Was getting the carrier ready they ran lol and my male stood between them and me meowing) they are a 5 easily you cant see any ribs there some shoulder and hips bones you can see but their tall and lanky and growing

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So all three were in heat when you got them spayed? I also don't know the answers to #1 and #2 as I've never had a female go into heat, and I couldn't find the answers anywhere. I would think your Vet could answer the questions for you though.

As to the difference in your scales vs the Vets, practically every scale is different. Plus it makes a difference HOW you are weighing them. As full grown cats, are you first weighing yourself, then holding them and weighing again, or do cooperate and actually let you weigh them on a baby scale? All of that makes a difference. BUT, as long as YOU use the same method every time at home, you should be able to tell if they are gaining or losing even though you'll probably never match what the Vet has. If the Vet didn't say they were underweight, then they probably aren't. Doesn't your Vet give you a sheet outlining the exam that includes where they are on the weight chart? Ours gives us something that shows everything they do, check eyes, ears, etc. and shows where they are, like 3 or 3.5 (from 1 - 5) on their) weight chart.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree. Using the same method to track their weight will let you know if they're gaining or losing. I thought my cat looked skinnier as well, especially with her shaved belly. Considering it's a complete ovariohysterectemy (removing a few organs entirely,) and they usually miss a couple meals, the kitties may in fact weigh less post-op until things level out.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the girls where in heat while Sami was Ally was coming back in and Ami may have been out. This wasn't my regular vet but a mobile vet they were done under the feral cat grant. This was one of the first slots they had open this year. Ally was suppose to go last year but our breaks went out as we where leaving town so she couldn't go. Under the grant i got them done for 25$ a piece with rabies. Vs the 180 at my vets office not includeing shots. My boys got fixed right away at a low cost clinic as they were in better shape then Ally who was poor and nurseing at the time. So i chose to wait until better weather and the grant.

We don't use a baby scale and most are pretty good about sitting or standing on the scale. Only a couple fight me over it.

I think i worry to much and work myself into a panick. They all look good today and are acting pretty normally maybe a bit hesitant on what im up to. Ally kept showing my dad her stomach like look at what was done to me.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah it was her daughters where uncomfortable with their bellies but Ally was just rubbing it in on him lol mama was in the dog for making them go while pawpaw was the good guy