What to do with old cat litter?

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When there is $5-10 worth of old cat litter, and we get a brand new box, I mix it with the new box. However, it doesn't save money in the long run as the mixture contains bacteria from the old litter which causes it to spoil faster.

What's the best thing to do with the old litter? Would you recommend sifting it to remove any small pieces of waste, and is there a disinfectant that removes bacteria/sterilizes after sifting?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The litter box should be completely emptied and cleaned once a month. I pour new litter onto old litter for up to a month. I then dump the whole thing, clean out the box with dish soap and a vinegar/water mix and then add all new fresh litter.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leading up to when I change out my litter box completely and clean it, I quit topping up the litter with new stuff. Then there is less to have to throw away. It is still kept clean and sifted, but there is just less in the box. I don't know of anything that would "clean" dirty litter. My kitties aren't picky as to how much litter they like in their box so I can get away with it though. Maybe just try that, and use some baking soda for added odor control when the litter amount gets low.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leading up to when I change out my litter box completely and clean it, I quit topping up the litter with new stuff. Then there is less to have to throw away. It is still kept clean and sifted, but there is just less in the box. I don't know of anything that would "clean" dirty litter. My kitties aren't picky as to how much litter they like in their box so I can get away with it though. Maybe just try that, and use some baking soda for added odor control when the litter amount gets low.
This is what I currently do.

Nvm guess I'll just trash it it's only $10.