What to do with my cat???

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am at my wits end with my scardy cat and am just not sure what to do any more!  I follow Jackson Galaxy and have tried various things he recommends and nothing is working!  I come on here occasionally to try and find answers to some of my questions.  

My cat, BW, is about 5-6 years old.  Not sure exactly, she was a feral and stayed around my house for a few years before she decided to come in.  She prefers to stay inside but I do let her go outside twice a day, first thing in the morning and just as the sun sets.  She very rarely goes off the porch/patio unless I am out there (too scared).  She will follow me around the yard.  Every now and then something comes by and scares her and she will run back inside.  If she truly freaks and we are not close to the back door, she will hide under the house next door where I won't see her for hours.  Eventually she will come back though.

I have learned to handle most of her quirks, but I just don't know what to do about her being so scared of everything!  If the doorbell rings, a neighbor comes over or I have guests, she hides and I won't see her for hours.  I have tried blocking access to her hiding spot but she just finds a new one.  I have tried both pheromones and Jackson Galaxy's Scardy Cat hoping that it will help.  Anywhere I place either product she will no longer go there.  I placed it on my hands but she won't let me pet her if she smells it on my hands.  She drinks from the faucet - won't drink from a bowl or a water fountain so I can't put it in her water.

One thing that has helped is that I play with her at least once a day - sometimes twice if she has too much energy at night.  She never plays to the panting stage but she will get tired and only bat at what we're play with.  I have gotten her lots of toys to play with by herself but she won't play with anything nor does she use the tree I got.  Scared of all of it.   Sometimes I think she is extremely bored but I can't play with her all the time!  Only thing I can get her to play with is if I wad up a piece of paper and throw it at her.  She may chase after it for about 5 minutes before she gets bored.  I figured that since she is feral she was never taught to play with toys so I try to teach her but she looks at me like I'm crazy!

I'll admit I'm obsessed with what to do with this cat but I just hate to see her hide for 8-10 hours a day.  She usually sleeps with me at night so at least she isn't hiding then!  Or at least until 5:00 am when she starts demanding I get up and feed her!

Anyone have any suggestions?  She is the first cat I've ever been around and taken care of.  I understand dogs, cats no so much!

Thanks!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had Grey Boy (see story near my signature) for maybe 7-8 years total.  He was a feral I fed, always shy and scaredy cat.  Then he got injured and had the brains to come inside and climb into a laundry basket in my back hall.  Got him taken care of and healed, he wanted to go out, I let him.  After some rain, he wanted in, so I let him.  For the past few years he was in and out but more and more in.  He has become a house feline.  I still can't touch him but he will eat chicken out of my hand.  FINALLY after all this time, he may let me walk by where he is sleeping without feeling the need to run.  Taming a feral is very, very slow, and any little thing sets them back into flight or fight mode.  But if your cat is happy enough to sleep with you, then you are doing everything right. 

You have to let go of wants and expectations.  You should celebrate the fact that she has bonded with you.  She doesn't need to bond with other humans.  You should be happy that you have provided her with a great home.  So what if she hides when people come over?  Cats sleep more than half the day anyhow, so she finds a safe place to sleep and does that.  So what?  You have no idea how perfectly you have tamed a feral cat.  It doesn't get much better than this.  They are not domestic and will not act like a kitten tht was raised being held and cuddled and passed from person to person.  This is like taking a wild animal from the woods and making friends with it, teaching it to trust you, to follow you around.  Think of her as a deer.  Wouldn't that be wonderful if a deer followed you around the yard, and came to be with you as long as there were no other people around, but ran if the doorbell rang?  It's wonderful.  What you have is perfect.  The only problem is in your head, wanting her to be different than she is.  That never works. What works is you seeing the perfection and accepting it and celebrating it.  You love your cat and she loves you.  Acceptance is a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input.  I've never been around cats before so my confidence level was a little low.  Wasn't sure if what I was doing was the right thing or not.  : )

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing it right!  You know what they say in medical school, right?  About procedures -- SEE one, DO one, TEACH one.

Soon you too will be teaching what you have done