What To Do With Aggressive Fiv+ Stray

catalexandria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone, I'm hoping to get advice from fellow rescuers/cat lovers. I rescued 2 stray cats from a very bad situation even though I have a cat who HATES HATES HATES other cats. The female was healthy and got adopted to a great home right away. The male turned out to be FIV positive and has some health problems and after 3 months of trying so hard to find him a home, nobody wants him. I am SO in love with this cat, he is such a sweetheart. However, my cat has been hiding, terrified for the last 3 months and living in my bathroom. I've tried EVERYTHING to get them to tolerate each other and we've had some scary fights, so I gave up. I don't want my cat to get FIV. This sweetheart sneezes blood daily all over the walls, he must get a shot of depo every 3 weeks and needs anitbiotics every 3 days. I've been putting up with all of this with no problem. The issue I'm having is that he attacks me. He attacks my feet and legs daily even though I play a ton with him, and today he attacked my face. He escaped from my screened porch and went to the neighbor's house. When I picked him up to bring him back he attacked really violently. My face was completely bloody and my eye is black and blue and so painful like I got punched. I am SO lucky his claw didn't go into my actual eye, just my eyelid. All of this stuff put together is just too much for me. The idea of having him put down makes me sick. But at the moment, the alternative is to continue to live this way and be afraid of him. He's the only person in my house who is happy at the moment. Any advice at all would really be appreciated. I don't want him to suffer in a shelter either. Thanks so much!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which cat attacks you, the FIV positive one? Are they both males?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catalexandria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which cat attacks you, the FIV positive one? Are they both males?
It’s the FIV positive cat that attacks. In fact I’m in the hospital now because my eye swelled up huge. They are both male.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm so sorry this happened! Does he just attack you for no reason, when you're not even touching him?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. :(

Others may disagree, but some feral cats are too wild and aggressive to be kept as domestic cats. I wouldn't euthanize the cat, but I would put him back outside and continue to care for him and feed him. Either that, or see if you shelter has a barn cat program where he could live out his life out on an acreage as a mouser. You've done a good deed, but you and your other cat should not have to suffer for it.

Now that I think of it, it's probably not ok to put an FIV+ cat back outdoors where he might spread the disease. I would keep him only on the screened porch if it's large enough to be "his room". The last hope may be some sort of animal sanctuary or rescue ranch that takes in FIV+ cats.

You're in a tough position, that's for sure. :alright:

catalexandria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he attacks my legs and feet daily just when I walk by. The face attacks are clearly transference of aggression when other cats are around. Sometimes it’s my other cat, sometimes cats outside. With the legs and feet I think he just gets stimulated by the motion. I can deal with that but I can’t deal with the face attacks and being afraid to pick him up. I play with him a ton every day also to help get his aggression out.

catalexandria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry. :(

Others may disagree, but some feral cats are too wild and aggressive to be kept as domestic cats. I wouldn't euthanize the cat, but I would put him back outside and continue to care for him and feed him. Either that, or see if you shelter has a barn cat program where he could live out his life out on an acreage as a mouser. You've done a good deed, but you and your other cat should not have to suffer for it.

Now that I think of it, it's probably not ok to put an FIV+ cat back outdoors where he might spread the disease. I would keep him only on the screened porch if it's large enough to be "his room". The last hope may be some sort of animal sanctuary or rescue ranch that takes in FIV+ cats.

You're in a tough position, that's for sure. :alright:

Yeah, he will definitely spread the FIV to other cats and I don’t want that. He’s actually the sweetest most affectionate cat I’ve ever had, so I wouldn’t say he’s feral really. Keeping him out in the porch would be quite sad because he follows me everywhere and hates to be alone. Plus it’s very cold out there and the cold seems to make his sinus issues worse. And also, it doesn’t solve the problem with my other cat being terrified all the time and hiding. I just don’t see options other than putting up with it or euthanasia which I’m not sure I can do. I know nobody will want to adopt him with all these issues sadly.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so sad, I hope you can find a solution. Have you tried putting up a gate or screen door to introduce the two cats?

catalexandria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is so sad, I hope you can find a solution. Have you tried putting up a gate or screen door to introduce the two cats?
Yes, every time I think they’ve made progress, there’s an outburst. I was feeding them on either side of a slightly open door for a while but they never got calm around each other. I binge watched “my cat from hell” and did everything the humane society suggested and nothing worked. but now that he’s attacked me so badly, all that isn’t really important. I think I have to accept that he’s unadoptable now and if I can’t find a place that keeps FIV cats to take him, I will have to euthanize. I don’t know if I can do it but also, I just spent the day in the emergency my room and have a hematoma in my eye. Not sure if it’s even fair to give him to a shelter that takes FIV cat’s as he’s clearly aggressive with cats and people alike.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a horn or a whistle? Would it be possible to train him not to attack? I have two former ferals and they only really scratch me when I pick them up when they don't want me to. But they don't just attack me when I'm not even touching them. That must be scary for you. I wonder if his illness has anything to do with it. Maybe he doesn't feel good and strikes out?

catalexandria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about a horn or a whistle? Would it be possible to train him not to attack? I have two former ferals and they only really scratch me when I pick them up when they don't want me to. But they don't just attack me when I'm not even touching them. That must be scary for you. I wonder if his illness has anything to do with it. Maybe he doesn't feel good and strikes out?
I just don't think I can risk any more injury at this point just to get his behavior modified. I take an immunosuppressant medication and the doctors are very worried about infection which is so common with cat scratches. It could be potentially fatal for me :( If someone would be willing to take him and risk getting attacked, that would be wonderful. But so far, nobody wants him. Heartbroken. And also, he goes to the vet every 3 weeks and has been tested for everything. I'm pretty sure it's just his personality.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if it’s even fair to give him to a shelter that takes FIV cat’s as he’s clearly aggressive with cats and people alike.
I think that an FIV+ sanctuary would be your best bet. I expect they would have several very aggressive cats and know how to handle them, probably by having separate fenced areas where some kitties just live alone. The risk if FIV is through bite wounds, and if every cat is already infected then they aren't "spreading" the disease.

I feel so badly for you. As much as those of us working with feral cats want to help them, that assistance has to stop short of risking our own lives for a wild little cat. :(

catalexandria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that an FIV+ sanctuary would be your best bet. I expect they would have several very aggressive cats and know how to handle them, probably by having separate fenced areas where some kitties just live alone. The risk if FIV is through bite wounds, and if every cat is already infected then they aren't "spreading" the disease.

I feel so badly for you. As much as those of us working with feral cats want to help them, that assistance has to stop short of risking our own lives for a wild little cat. :(
Thank you. I think that's sound advice and I'm going to try every FIV sanctuary I can find before I have him put down. Wish us luck and thanks so much everyone for your comments, I really appreciate it!!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask, is he neutered? It's so strange that he's so sweet, but then mean. I wonder why.

catalexandria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to ask, is he neutered? It's so strange that he's so sweet, but then mean. I wonder why.
Well he’s definitely not mean by nature. He’s so sweet and would never hurt me on purpose. He just has the fight or flight response when he sees or hears other cats or gets spooked by something and he just attacks whoever isn’t nearby. He’s lived outside on the streets his whole life so he’s hyper vigilant. Kind of like a veteran that comes back from war. He was neutered 3 months ago.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you feeling, catalexandria? I hope they gave you something to knock out the pain.