What to do I found a tuft of fur with skin and blood?

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi last night I found a small tuft of fur on the floor, on closer examination i found the tuft to be attached to a piece of skin with blood and stuff on the underside of the skin.  I checked both my kittens for any signs of where is came from (as they have very similar fur colouring so don't know which one it came from) and could not see.

I gave them both a stroking all over in case they seemed sore but they both seem fine in themselves and no obvious over-grooming.

Should I be worried?  I think a bit of fur come loose when wrestling may be normal?  but the fact that skin was torn off with it is quite alarming to me!

Any advice or anyone else come across this with their cats?

Thanks x

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible it could have been a sore that scabbed over and they scratched it and it came off. That will happen to my indoor/outdoor cat when they have fleas and scratch before I can get them bathed. As long as you don't see any signs of distress and no large amount of blood on the cats or anything around them it should be fine.

I can understand your concern. I would be combing over mine hair by hair if I found that too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch used to get them regularly.  Of course never when I had her at the vet!  But the vet never saw any sign of problems with her skin.  She figured it was from the girls wrestling too hard because of where they were on her head.  A little over a year ago Noodles developed congestive heart failure.  I haven't found those scabs on Mooch any more.  

I would just keep an eye on them.  I knew when Mooch had one because the tuft of fur would stick out a bit from the rest of her before it fell off completely.  She is short haired and loves to snuggle; so it was pretty easy for me to see them.