What To Do For Preparing A Bengal Cat For Shows

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would I bother you too much if I asked you what should I be working with for Freya (bengal) to be able to do decently in a show? I doubt she could win anything, but it would be nice to be able to go and meet other breeders and cat lovers. The nearest cat show is 400km away from my home, so I never go, bit if I do have a cat to take part, then it would kinda justify the trip.
She is a nice girl, very sweet, playful, curious and loves cuddles. However, she does not like being picked if the person doing it is standing. She does not attack by any means, but moves a lot trying to get of, not crazy like, but you know, the usual 4 months old kitten movements.
I have been introducing her to as many people as possible, friends, family and vets (which are friends too) and she is not super happy but doesn't dislike it either.
If I try to stretch her as I see in show pictures she starts crying and moving a lot.
Any advice would be very welcomed, thanks a lot for reading me!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say just continue what you're doing regarding training her... it sounds to me like you're doing everything right. The young kittens I've seen at shows always squirm around a little bit (they are kittens after all!), so as long as Freya doesn't try to bite or scratch, I think it should be fine. Cats just need to get used to the whole show scene, and the best time to do this is when they're young. As you continue showing Freya, she'll get more accustomed to the process and calm down a little.

I don't know how it works in other organizations, but in CFA exhibitors have the option of either using the wire cages provided by the show or the fabric "security cages" like this one:
I think that the security cage would be helpful, because you could leave it out in your home for Freya to get accustomed to and make "her's". Then, when you get to the show, what I've seen a lot of breeders do is spray the inside of the security cage with Feliway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot, abyeb abyeb , you hace más me feel better.
Personality wise, I think I am very lucky, neither Raist not Freya have ever bite ir scratch me, nor threat or growled to anyone. Even though I do not usually play with them using my hands, when I do they never use their nails and their teeth do never leave a single trace on my skin, so I hope Freya will be as sweet with the judges.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I do to get them used to being in the ring is set up a judging table and cage at home. Practice putting her int he cage and taking her out like the judges do. Put her on the table and handle her like the judges. Make it fun for her. I know some associations have different rules, but since I show CFA this is what I do. I also take the cat anywhere I can to get them accustomed to noise and strange people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that is very helpful!
I have been bringing her to caffes whith outdoors tables, and she has been doing fine. She is better at moving and jumping now, so I am not bringing her until her harness fits her. She is a little bit on the tiny side.