What to Do About Smelly Anal Glands?

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! My 3.5 year old male cat can be a little stinky, but lately it's been really bad. My guess is that it's his anal glands because his bowel discharge is pretty normal. What situation requires his glands to be expressed? Is random stinkage normal? He doesn't spray anymore, though he did when we first got him. He eats a chicken free diet because of allergies so sometimes he smells fishy, but this is different. Definitely a butt smell. Any info would be great, thanks!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are smelling something that you think is originating in the rear end area, he should go to the vet to have it checked. Sometimes animals with anal gland issues will scoot along the floor or try to lick their tail area; however, I would not wait for those signs. If anal glands need to be expressed and are not, it can lead to abscesses or infection, usually infection preceeding abscess. Not only is it painful for your cat, but if you wait until it is abscessed, the vet bill goes up seriously as it is a minor surgical procedure to drain them at that point. Just getting them expressed is not a big deal and should not cost a lot. You could be shown how to do this yourself if the cat would allow it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree with fionasmom fionasmom . The biggest thing is to determine if his glands are accumulating built up fluid, which would mean he needs to have them manually expressed. Most vet techs can do this without an actual vet appointment. You could call your vet and ask about this as an option. They can even show you how to express them if you would be 'game' for doing so in the future. At a minimum, they will let you know what to look for and how to determine if they are accumulating fluid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. This is all good info. I will call my vet them they open tomorrow and ask. He's not a butt scooter but he does pick himself a lot. However I think that is related to his skin allergies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet can check the anal glands and express them if needed. Going forward, you can express the glands at home yourself. Ask the vet to show you how. You may need a second pair of hands to hold the cat. Have paper towels on hand to clean up the cat afterwards and any anal gland secretion that shoots out. I'd do this in the bathroom where any mess is easily cleaned up and the door can be closed to keep the cat from running way to hide.