What size wood pellets?

witchlapis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nearby I can get wood pellets (the cheap kind thats sold at wood shops) but I don't know what size to get, haven't been able to find any ansewrs on this. The options are 6 mm and 8 mm. My kitten is gonna be 3 months old when I get her, she's being trained with wood pellets right now if that makes a difference. I haven't been able to see anywhere what size is standard or recommended, or what advantages/disadvantages of bigger or smaller pellets are.

I have a sifting litter box with rather big holes, this draws me towards as big pellets as possible to avoid any of them falling through before they've turned to sawdust. But are there any drawbacks to getting 8mm wood pellets?

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I pulled a few clean pellets out of the bag they all vary in size because they break up a bit, the largest (also broken) one I grabbed is about 3/4" (19mm) so I guess go with the largest size they have...
I don't use a sifting box so wouldn't know if the slots are too big for 8mm.

ETA I use TSC Equine Bedding Pellets, which is about $5 for 40# bag. Since you're using metric I can only assume that's not available in your area.