what should or shouldn't i do in the mean time until i can get to the vet tonight?

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'll start by saying that my husband has the car at work, and i won't be able to get my cat, Alice, to the vet until around 11:30-12 tonight after he gets off of work. (vet has stated to call around end of business and he will give us his cell to call when on our way if we need to)

Alice came to us very pregnant, (friends mom died, and said friend who was living with now dead mom is getting rid of all her moms pets), and started labor only a few days later, so I have no way of knowing what's really going on with her.

she had one kitten around 630-7am (at least that's when i woke up to a teensey weensey meow, so maybe earlier) and one around 8am. 2nd placenta around 10:30am. momma seems to be content kneading at the air eyes closed layed out in a relaxed state while these two nurse. it's been almost four hours since number two and i'm just trying to see how long is "normal" or "average" as i believe i can still see/feel the other(s?) moving inside (or maybe very vivid imagination). the two already born are nursing and warm and cuddled up. it's almost 2pm now.

mom seems content. the kittens that i think i can feel/see moving are higher up in her belly and not down near the birth canal at all. (i also read somewhere that mom may be able to stop labor and postpone further births if she is stressed? maybe the kids waking up being loud could be considered stress?)

only problem i had was when the 2nd was born mom got distracted from cleaning it up by my kids waking up and getting loud wanting breakfast. there was a bubble in the sac by its face so i carefully snipped a hole and it meowed immediately, and she snapped out of it and went to work cleaning it up.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep an eye on things and stay close. If she goes into active labor and nothing for 2 hrs she needs to be at the vet's office!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's best to have the vet check, but there have been several instances on this forum where people thought they felt a kitten, and it was the uterus they were feeling. Is she straining at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we've decided/accepted that she only has two kittens. I feel something roundish in there but it doesn't feel much like it's actually attached to anything, so it can't be a head.

Mom is happy, relaxed, and nursing. I believe she is a first time mom, and is doing great. Every time I go into the room the 'nest' is in she runs in with me growling and hops in their box with them. She has also started acting like a normal cat since a few hours after the last kittens birth. (we got her Friday, and she's been hiding out and apparently nesting the past few days being anti social). Now she's being friendly and talkative and loving and even a little playful. She tolerates the kids wonderfully.

Vet told me that if there is a kitten it will probably be stillborn in the next 36 hours, but if mom acts different or I am really worried to just come in and we will be seen as a high priority walk in.

Thanks for the responses!

Here's a link to my facebook album of mom and babies

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=ff501c7959

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh that's good news!
Mom looks really content and her babies are cream!

I wish you the best of luck.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aprilyim

her babies are orange!
They're cream, there's no such thing as an orange cat.

If the mom starts to get even the slightest bit lethargic, she need to see the vet asap. Hopefully she just had these two and things go well. Cute babies.
It would be good to weigh the kittens twice a day to make sure they are gaining weight and growing properly.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

They're cream, there's no such thing as an orange cat.
I don't know, I've heard the term "orange cat" used lots - have even had some I considered orange.

But that's not the point. We had a mother cat many years ago deliver a stillborn kitty nearly a week later. I guess it can happen.

I'm glad she and her babies are doing well!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

It would be good to weigh the kittens twice a day to make sure they are gaining weight and growing properly.
You can get a little food scale from Wal Mart for less than $10 I think, to weigh the babies.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually most people use "orange" to describe a Red Tabby. Sometimes light orange or tan is used for a Cream Tabby.

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom and the two boys are happy
She is content with the box I gave her and rolls on her back and purrs when I check in on them.

One I will call cream 'cause he is a lighter color.
But the other one is identical in color to the orange orange that I ate this morning, so I'm going to refer to him as being orange colored
He's not a show cat so I'm sure it won't hurt his feelings lol.

Mom gave birth to a little girl dark torti colored sometime before I woke up this morning. Don't know if it was stillborn or if she suffocated in the sac, (baby number two I had to make a snip in a bubble in the sac in front of his nose, but as soon as I did it he cried and mom went to work on him). Her body was dry and fluffy but her face not so much. Either way it's sad
But we have two healthy, growing, plump bellied little boys.

Her name is Alice, so if we keep them everyone's getting fixed as soon as they wean, and we'll probably name them Hatter and Rabbit.

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyMeri

Mom and the two boys are happy
She is content with the box I gave her and rolls on her back and purrs when I check in on them.

One I will call cream 'cause he is a lighter color.
But the other one is identical in color to the orange orange that I ate this morning, so I'm going to refer to him as being orange colored
He's not a show cat so I'm sure it won't hurt his feelings lol.

Mom gave birth to a little girl dark torti colored sometime before I woke up this morning. Don't know if it was stillborn or if she suffocated in the sac, (baby number two I had to make a snip in a bubble in the sac in front of his nose, but as soon as I did it he cried and mom went to work on him). Her body was dry and fluffy but her face not so much. Either way it's sad
But we have two healthy, growing, plump bellied little boys.

Her name is Alice, so if we keep them everyone's getting fixed as soon as they wean, and we'll probably name them Hatter and Rabbit.
I also refer to people as having orange hair, and not red. I guess I'm in my own little circle :p

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear 1 of the kittens died.

Rabbit and Hatter I like the names

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RIP, little torti girl.

And welcome to the world, Rabbit and Hatter.