What should I look for in a new cat?

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 I'm looking for a cat now that Emo, aged 16 and with us since kitten hood, died. I thought another male cat would suit me best, but have been offered females who seem lovely. Am I wrong to be prejudiced against the females? I also considered how much it would cost to neuter a female vs. a male, given that, although we have a fair sized-house and walled garden, our road is busy and an indoor cat is preferable. This would not prevent an un-neutered cat from getting out, you see!

Please advise, as I'm all at sea without a moggy!

Last edited by a moderator:

skylarbear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would consider adopting a mature cat ( not a kitten ) since your cat was 16 years old. If you end up adopting a younger cat that has not been spayed (female) or neutered (male), then spaying is major surgery and ends up costing more than getting a male neutered. As far as difference in personality goes between male and female cats, I'm not sure what to say. I think a house cat's personality depends largely on how it was raise. Cats rai

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the idea of adopting a little older or mature cat is a good one if you are concerned about the difference in the cost of spaying vs neutering.  There are often clinics for lower cost spay/neuters depending on where you life; if you need the assistance.  

As for male vs female; I've always chosen by meeting the cats.  All of the cats in my life have been female except for one.  And technically he came into my mother's house after I was married and had moved out.  But he was chosen the same way; my mother met him and he was for her.  I don't know that he is much different from the female cats we have had.  He is a bit of a chicken sometimes, but also likes to instigate things with the "cranky lady" (cat) at Mom's.  

I think they just all have thier own personalities; regardless of gender.  If I am more drawn to females; it's subconscious for sure.  But another thing to consider is their activity level.  Kittens are just SO MUCH energy.  I remember thinking when my 2 were kittens how I loved how cute they were, etc; but I also looked forward to when they were grown and calmer and we would have an established relationship.  Kittens can be work!

I guess my advise is to meet the cats and see who you are drawn to.  I don't mean to bring a list or qualities and search till you find it; but just see who stands out when you meet the cats.  I met my "soul kitty" when she was just days old and I was only 9 or so at the time.  One who lives with my mother came in a similar way.  Mom was picking up her cat I mentioned before and I'd come along to meet him and I saw her and that was it.  I couldn't have a cat at the time but my Mom ended up adopting her in my name and she has lived there ever since.  Mom felt the connection too.  She was about 2 when we adopted her as well.  So age doesn't always matter.  Hope that helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Friends, I have at last found my forever, mature moggy and I'm too excited to sleep! It's been so long and I'm as giddy as a school kid!

He's a Siamese/Bengal cross, a couple of years old, his owner is a lovely lady and I think he's the perfect fit for us.

Thank you all for your good words of advice. I will keep you posted on our progress!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ain't love the sweetest thing.