What should I feed my cat?

annabelle22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've posted a little while ago on the Health section about my cat, Rusty, who is constantly throwing up. Long story short, he's been taken to two different vets who gave my boyfriend and I the same answer; he's eating too fast (one said because it's because we have two other cats and he can smell them in the other room) and because of that, he's getting sick. It's mostly undigested food not long after he eats, sometimes it's clear bile, other times he can go all day or quite a while without touching his food and still get sick, but it's liquid and the color of his food. Anyway, we feed him Purina Indoor Delights, and one vet recommended we feed him 1/4 cup two-three times a day to try and reduce his vomit, but it hasnt worked. One person replied to my other post saying he's possibly allergic to the food we're feeding him. However, it's not just this food he's thrown up; when we first got him we fed him Friskies Meow Mix, we've tried Friskies canned food, one vet even gave us prescription food (Royal Canin Intestinal). No difference. We're pulling our hair out over this because it's destroying the hardwood, and even when we try to mop (which is rare now because of this) he just throws up, and not a small amount, an hour or two after we clean. We really dont know what to feed him, what should we try?

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMO, it is very likely the food. All the foods you mentioned are full of grains/plants - which are hard to digest for cats, and are useless to them because they can't digest them.

http://ibdkitties.net/CommercialFood.html has a list of foods that may help. The foods listed on that list are do not contain grain, dairy products, or certain herbs/spices which can trigger the problems your cat is having.

As always, I urge you to also read through http://www.catinfo.org/ - your cat will thank you!!!

catwoman87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet about giving your kitty Pepcid AC or something that he can take to prevent vomiting. Also, switch the food. Fromm... wellness... acana... evo... something like that.

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Putting the food bowl on a phone book and making the kibbles sit flat in the bowl (opposed to in a pile) has helped us.

buckeye204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I tried all the high premium dry cat foods. Woody was throwing all them up. I decided to go against public opinion and put him on Nutro Max Indoor dry. Since the kibble is bigger, he has to chew it. And no throwing up. I also give a little Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care canned with a little water mixed with it. Since I changed he doesn't cough, his shedding has decreased and he is not throwing up. His coat is soft and lush. . He doesn't eat but a couple teaspoons of canned, but a little is better than none. I know most people here do not like Nutro Max, but it has worked for my cat.

magickzzl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One trick that is recomended for dogs but works for cats REALLY well is to put big rocks in the bowl so they have to pick the kibble out. for wet food adding water so they have to lap it up helps, and feeding small amounts throughout the day

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is indeed because he is eating too fast, then none of those foods will help. You need to put out small amount for him to eat, or put large rocks or golf balls in his bowl to help him eat slower. A cheap food that I recommend is Authority which you can buy at Petsmart.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
have you considered taking him off dry food all together and giving him a wet patte style food? Maybe something with no chunks? If you have nothing in patte style maybe you could try something in the blender (canned) mixed with water and make it a gravy consistency. Maybe that will stay down.