What should I expect from adopting a retired breeder

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that her behavior will be great! As a breeder, she must have spent a lot of time in the show ring, where she would have been handled by a lot of people.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she will be very happy to get away from breeding and into a family that she can call her own.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breeding situations can vary a lot. Many retired breeding cats are extremely well socialized, healthy, and accustomed to traveling, and adapt very easily to a new home. A retired breeding cat can be a great choice in that case! Some breeders however don't show their cats, so their cats may not be as accustomed to traveling and meeting new cats and people, and some not-so-good breeders have more cats than they can properly handle, or don't socialize them very well.

What kind of environment does she live in now? What do you know about her and her history?

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree with Lutece. Breeding situations are all really different. I got my one retired breeder from a woman who had 8 cats piled into a tiny duplex. She was getting rid of my cat (Journey) because Journey couldn't deal with the crowding and was apparently getting beat up. Now I've had her for a couple years and she is a complete jerk to my other cat, also a retired female, who was inadvertently neglected as a young cat. The breeder who had the second cat ended up with a very sick daughter who required frequent hospital visits etc so the cats obviously weren't the first priorty. That being said, the second cat is way better adjusted and "normal" than the first one who came from what I consider to be an overcrowding situation. Anyways ... the first cat is super territorial and a total jerk. Would have been nice to know that she was likely the aggressor in the situations where she was getting "picked on" at her old home. It would have changed a lot about my decision to introduce a second cat.

If your getting your retired breeder from someone who treats their breeders like pets and doesn't let them get overcrowded or whatever you're probably fine. The cat may be shy at first but most cats would be. Nothing really specific to ask about ... maybe ask how they've interacted with other cats in the past or if they've ever had any health issues that you should know about. Other than that, retired breeders are great. Just like adopting any other adult cat from a shelter.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the first cat is super territorial
Hi! Would music, or a calming product (not a pheromone product, those can make things worse with this sort of situation) help her relax so your other baby can get a break? Maybe even a heating pad set on low and covered with her favorite blanket or article of your clothing?

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Would music, or a calming product (not a pheromone product, those can make things worse with this sort of situation) help her relax so your other baby can get a break? Maybe even a heating pad set on low and covered with her favorite blanket or article of your clothing?
Nothing really seems to help but I haven't tried calming music. They're so weird. Some days they are fine to share space ... other days the first cat just harasses the second. For the most part, when I am around, I can manage their interactions. I've been wary of leaving them out together when I'm not around.

SirenSong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try the music, and even the heating pad might help :)
Definitely worth a shot, especially when I start leaving them out together when I'm at work and they're home to manage their relationship on their own ... For now, I've been separating them but I do want to start leaving them together soon ... they'll have to learn to cohabit at some point!