What Should I Do?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had several of my family members mention to me about "downsizing" my pets. I have Bosco my dog, Luna and Artemis. They think that I should give Luna away to someone on a farm, so that I will have an easier time finding an apartment and they say that she would be happier living outside. Luna isn't as friendly and outgoing and people-loving as Artemis. And if I make any teeny tiny change to even one of the litter boxes, she poops on the carpet. So they think that I should find a new home for her so that I can get a better apartment. She's a "hard keeper" they said.

First off, they have the hardest keepers of all with that cat of theirs that doesn't like anyone but my mom, attacks anyone else if you even look at her wrong, and they keep her locked down the basement so that Ben their German Shepherd doesn't kill her. Speaking of Ben, they have put so much money and training time into him because he has so many behavioral problems and health problems, has bitten people, has killed a kitten, needs prescription Prozac and Trazadone to even function day to day, has allergies, digestion problems- he gets the gold star for "hard keepers." And yet they tell ME that I should get rid of one of MY pets.

It was my own fault that Luna messed outside the litter box. I put a different kind of litter in one of the boxes and she didn't like that. I should know better by now not to do that.

I have found places that will take all my pets but all of them are full. The rest are out of my budget. I just need to keep searching for the right place. Then they want me to lie and say I have only one cat. I really don't want to do that. I want to be honest, so that I don't get caught and then get in trouble and have to move again.

Part of me thinks Luna would be happier as an outside cat, but I could never give her away. I don't know what I should do. I have to be able to find some place to live with my pets. I only have two weeks left to find someplace though and its not looking good. I don't know what to do.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Oh no...such a dilemma for you! To me, your pets are like family. As far as tenants go, having undesired behaviors like loud parties, making drama with neighbors, selling drugs, stealing should be a concern more than the.pets. I feel that your family is unsupportive & they have it backwards - they should put the dog in the basement, not lock up the poor cat (imo, it is the same as making the kids stay inside because a registered sex offender likes to hang out at the park).
Is there a possibility of getting letters of recommendation from your landlord and current neighbors?
Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Oh no...such a dilemma for you! To me, your pets are like family. As far as tenants go, having undesired behaviors like loud parties, making drama with neighbors, selling drugs, stealing should be a concern more than the.pets. I feel that your family is unsupportive & they have it backwards - they should put the dog in the basement, not lock up the poor cat (imo, it is the same as making the kids stay inside because a registered sex offender likes to hang out at the park).
Is there a possibility of getting letters of recommendation from your landlord and current neighbors?
Please keep us posted!
Yes, I've mentioned that I have a letter of recommendation from my landlord and neighbor and I have resumes for my pets for them to review and you can call my vet too, but none of that seems to make a difference.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Finding a new place is hard alreadt, even with no pets. Is your two week deadline real, or can you go to a month-to-month lease to give you more time to find something? I know it’s outrageously expensive to do that, but hopefully it would just be one or two months.

I wouldn’t lie either, I would not be relaxed knowing I could get caught. Good luck, it’s a shame so many places don’t allow pets!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
The new tenants already paid and are set to move in after the first week in august. I don't think I really have any more time. I'm going to look at two places Thursday that said they will take my pets. If they are decent and in a good safe neighborhood, I think I'll take it. I can't hold out for something better.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn! Well, even if to not an ideal place, if you sign a one year lease you can upgrade. A year is not too long in a place as long as everyone is safe. Good luck!

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope one of the new places works out for you ! I can't bear the thought of having to rehome one of my cats.

I wasn 't born with that gene...

Seriously, good luck !!!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
It also doesn't help that my new employer has not told me what he'll offer me for a salary. He said "he hasn't figured out all the numbers yet". I find that to be a bit odd. I'm meeting with him on Thursday to discuss a compensation package, but I would be nice to know all that information a lot sooner so I can budget for an apartment. He offered me the job last Wed and I still have no information about benefits, salary, vacation time, etc. There is one other place that wants an interview with me, and I left that open just in case this guy really low balls me and there is no way we could agree on a salary.

I just wish this wouldn't take so long. I'm on a deadline to move out and I really would hate to move twice.