What should I do?

missym23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About two weeks ago my mom heard a cat meowing outside, she opened the front door to find a kitten about maybe 3 months old on our front porch that wasn't ours, my mom decided to feed it and it seemed like it hadn't eaten anything in a long time. Well while it was eating it literally made a noise that sounded like it was saying nom nom nom so I named him Nommers.

We wouldn't let him in the house before now because Snuggles had kittens in the house and we didn't want her to hurt him, but when they all died we started letting him in the house.

He is very affection and likes to nuzzle your neck, face, legs and feet, he also likes to walk between your legs when you're trying to walk which is kind of a hazard especially when you're carrying something large and heavy and can't see him like a laundry basket. We think that might be why his previous owner didn't want him anymore, we think he was an inside cat because he knows what a litter box is for.

My dad thinks that someone threw him out of their car window while driving down the road because he walks funny like he got hurt, he had dried blood around his mouth and for a while it seemed like it hurt him to open his mouth, but he seems fine now.

Around here if people don't want cats they will drive down the road and throw them from their car windows, me and my dad witnessed it before, a guy in a reddish brown pickup truck was driving down the road and throwing cats out of his passenger window, there was a car in front of us so I couldn't see his license plate.

What should I do to get rid of all his energy other than playing with him, which I do a lot, and how do I get him to stop clawing the furniture?

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he have a scratching post? If not I'd get him one. When he goes to scratch the furniture just nicely move him over to where the scratching post is. As far as energy, it's just the way kittens are. Get him some cat toys. Mine love those fishing poles for cats and the toy where you can bat the ball around. 

All my cats and the kittens love this one 

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a problem with Poppy tearing up the furniture. A coworker said to get the Alpine Scratcher, and it worked! Poppy always runs over to it when she's excited (like feeding time or when I get home). She's completely forgotten about the sofa.

Make sure you get the ramp/incline style. A friend of mine got the plain board that just lays horizontal and she said it didn't work. Cats have preferences as to scratching vertically or horizontally. If you get the incline you can take out the insert if your kitty doesn't like the slant. Most cats like the incline, though. You do not have to order it online, even though the link below is from Amazon. Most pet stores will carry it, I am only giving a link to show what it looks like.