What should I do with a stray that is hanging around

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need some help deciding what to do with a stray cat... back story--

So I have a repeat of last year on my hands... in early april, my neighbor across the street starts 'taking care of' a new little cat. By memorial day weekend little kitty is waking us up with her 'boyfriends' on our patio. Last year is july the cat gave birth on our patio and that same day the neighbor gave them all to us to raise and re-home. We ended up keeping mom and two babies. This year, with more knowledge and this wonderful website, I have trapped the new kitty and had her fixed with the local traveling van. We had to keep her inside for a few days because of some bad weather. We let her out almost 2 days ago now, and she won't leave our house! She just wanders from door to window to window to door. Every time we go out the door ( or come home) she comes running for us. I am pretty sure she has some health problems (one eye is cloudy) and I think she may have fleas. She is semi friendly, and she meows almost non stop... really loud non stop. My cats make almost no noise... they cry for us when we sleep in or when they miss us... but it is cute and never lasts more then a 10 minutes. We have taken to calling her Mow (rhymes with cow) because that is what she says all day every day. 

My question is this-- what do I do now? She is driving my kitties (and me and my husband) nuts with her constant meowing... as I type she is sitting outside the window next to me meowing every 3 seconds. She even woke us up at 3 this morning. I really just want her to go back to how she was before we fixed her... over here for a walk through a few times a week. Is there a way to get her to leave?  OR...Should we try to find a home for her? She is kind of friendly; she will hiss at us if we walk up to her too suddenly, but then she meows and wants love and attention. Do you all think we have a chance at adopting her out with her loud mouth, a bad eye, and clipped ear? I'll get some pictures of her today to post. 

Oh, and just in case you are wondering about the neighbor being upset about us doing stuff with the cat... I don't think she will care given how fast she gave us the cat last year. My biggest concern is just that she might find a new one next year.

Thank you all for your advice.

torn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, 

Is there a way you can bring her to the vet to get blood work?  I know from experience with my cat, she meowed because she was in pain.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hadn't considered that. She has meowed like this since she showed up at the neighbor's in April so I kind of just assumed that was her personality, Kind of like Siamese cats that are naturally vocal. I really don't have money to be spending on her... the $35 we payed to get her fixed was just to head off more costs when we ended up with her kittens later. How much does blood work usually cost?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blood work can run from $50-100, but there is also a charge for the vet exam and rabies vaccination.

I wouldn't automatically assume she's meowing because she's in pain. Cats tend to hide their pain and become quiet. Is she eating normally? Does she have a good energy level? I've had a few cats who are very vocal, and have learned that when they meow, they get human attention.

Do you have a spare room that you could take her into in order to observe her for a few days? If she stops the constant meowing, has a good appetite and energy level, and is affectionate, then I would assume she's a stray who desperately wants a home. I took in a stray white Siamese cat once, and he, too, was quite chatty. Even if you can't keep her, you could find her a good home.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Based on her behavior I don't think that it is pain. The health problems I referred to in the original post were just that I think she had an injury to the eye. We have been trying not to feed her much because we don't want her to associate us with food. When we do put something down for her she eats quickly and without problems that I can see. I think her bowl movements were also normal while we had her inside (our cats have had tummy troubles because of a chicken allergy and now we feed them raw homemade so they poop differently)

I don't think I am going to take her to the vet for blood work unless she really starts to act different from what I am used to in her.  She got a rabies shot at the tnr van. 

I am really looking for tips on how to get her to leave... or tips on finding someone who would want to adopt her with her eye and her clipped ear. 

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but I can't give you advice on how to get her to leave. You've trapped her, spayed and vaccinated her, and allowed her into your house for a few days, and she's also come to depend on you for food. You may be the only food source she has. The humane thing to do would be to take her into the space where you kept her during her recuperation and try to find a home for her. Advertise online and in local papers, hang up flyers with her picture on it in local churches and supermarkets. Leaving her outside to fend for herself or chasing her away would be worse than taking her to a shelter where she would at least stand a chance at adoption.  She is a beautiful cat, I bet someone would want her. Fleas are very easy to treat with Frontline, and two of my ferals have injured ears, and I think they're completely beautiful.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MSAimee is correct - the cat has apparently grown to recognize your home as her new territory and is probably wondering what happened that she was put outside again.  You've done the correct thing here and it is a shame that you've ended up with the responsibility because of such an irresponsible owner.

But having an irresponsible neighbor of my own, I long ago realized I had to step up to the plate.  No amount of preaching to him made a difference and I ended up with four to six kittens every year!  So, I got to work finding them homes.  Some I was able to take to the no-kill shelter and some I was able to find forever homes for.  I TNR'd some, too - those that were a little too wild to adopt out.  I still have two of them and eventually built them an enclosure.

Because she is somewhat socialized, please try to find her a home.  I think a lot of people would be attracted to her odd look and talkativeness.  Work with your local shelter, if you can, to try to find an adoptive home.

At the very least, please provide her with food and shelter, if she must be an outside cat.  I have found that having the two guys outside, even though they are in an enclosure, has kept other cats out of my yard.

If you're up to it, try to talk to your neighbor.  It may not work but if they recognize the problems being created, they may realize that they are being irresponsible.  If you aren't accusatory and can just give them the facts, they may respond well.  It is worth a try!

Thanks for helping her.  You absolutely did the right thing.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please continue to feed her! She may be crying because she's hungry and doesn't understand why you're not feeding her.

Ferals and strays tend to bond with the human they've identified as their caregiver, so until you can find her another caregiver, please feed her. If you shared her story with people, there's a good chance someone would adopt her.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We (hubby and I) spoke about Mow yesterday and we accepted her as ours for as long as it takes to find her a new home. We put food out last night (which she gobble down) and set her up a little box up on the porch. She doesn't really express an interest in coming inside the house other than to follow us.

However- As of today she seems to have gone back to her normal life... I saw her when I left for work at 7:30, but my husband says she wasn't around at all today.  When she comes around we will feed her, but we are going to let her come and go as she pleases until we find someone who wants to take her. 

So, all in all, it seems like I should have just waited another day before posting for advice.

I thank you all for your advice and help... and I have to admit, while I would like to say I'll think twice before getting another stray fixed and ending up with yet another cat,but I know I'll do it again and again just to help these poor critters in the long run!