What Preventatives Do You Do?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We are visiting Dr.Kate next week for annual Rabies and FVRP. Gypsy got her FeLV shots in January. I was just wondering what are some of the vaccinations my fellow TCN'ers get for their kittys, also how often and what injection site. I am not asking for advice on what vaccines to give or not to give Gypsy, just curious as to what other folks do. Thanks.
Foot cleaning.jpg

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll renew the rabies if the cat needs to go in for something, but don't usually go out of my way for it. I get full vaccines if the cats have to travel or be boarded. January 2016 we loaded up all four cats to the spay neuter clinic to get the vaccination package for each because we were moving from Phoenix to D.C. in July that year. Kept the papers with them in case boyfriend got pulled over with the cargo. I was the pace car with the guinea pigs and parrots.
I would feel differently if any of my cats went outdoors or if I were doing fosters.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mowgli is an indoor cat, so he gets only the "core" boosters at the recommended intervals: feline distemper, feline rhinotracheitis, feline calicivirus. Even though I change immediately after getting home from the shelter, including showering and washing my hair again if I've been handling cats with infectious diseases, I worry about bringing something into the house.

Our vet injects in a back leg, makes a notation on a chart of injection sites, and alternates legs.

My biggest worry is always feline distemper (panleukopenia), as we've witnessed new intakes die of it at the shelter and it's something highly lethal you can "track in". Rabies shots aren't required for indoor-only cats in our area. Mowgli is vaccinated against feline rhinotracheitis and feline calicivirus for two reasons: If he has to be boarded in the case of an emergency, it's required, and he could easily be exposed to a cat with a respiratory infection during any vet visit, including his annual wellness exam.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rabies vaccination is required in my state, so my cats get that on the standard schedule - first booster one year after initial vaccination, then every three years after that.

Ideally I would want everyone to have current FVRCPs because I work at an animal shelter. I take precautions to disinfect when I get home, but even so, I'd rather have that layer of protection.

Unfortunately that is not an option with everyone's health, though. Maisie can't receive FVRCP at all because of his kidney disease, and Toad had to receive all of her vaccinations on a delayed schedule because of her multiple health problems when she was a baby that it took her awhile to fully outgrow. My foster kitten has not had FVRCP yet (also for health reasons) but will get it this week if okayed by the vet.

Basically beyond what is required by law, I follow the vet's advice about each individual animal's risk factors in terms of exposures versus current health status.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much feel that only you and your regular vet(s) will know your cat's individual environmental and health risks to particular vaccines, so it's definitely something you should discuss with your vet. My cat just turned 3 so she'll be due soon for her "rabies update" (required by law), but my vet and I personally do not like her particular and individual balance of health risks for FVRCP vaccinations at this point. She has FHV-1 already, and the vaccine for that triggers her respiratory issues. Plus, she is on steroids for asthma/allergies at this point in time... steroids and vaccines generally don't "mix well" -- resulting in effects you may not want. Each owner and cat and vet will need to decide on what's best for the kitty, and when.