What Personality Traits Do You See Associated With Specific Breed-like Appearances?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've noticed from my shelter experience that certain appearances of cats often correspond to personality traits. Not purebred purrsay, but like coat colors or body types.

What I've noticed from the shelter:
-Black male cats - ALWAYS very affectionate and playful
-Siamese looking cats & Snowshoe - VERY vocal, will sing their hearts out. Some pretend they don't want attention but they really do.

Also side note, literally everyone calls every longhaired cat a Maine Coon. They are not maine coons.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I mention I have a calico to people, they always tell me that the calicos they knew were mild and nice. Which I think describes Lelia, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every time I mention I have a calico to people, they always tell me that the calicos they knew were mild and nice. Which I think describes Lelia, too.
Oh! And Torties always have strong personalities. They can be jerks. But adorable jerks.

Also i do notice a difference between male and female cat personality even after fixing. Female cats are generally more reserved, I don’t like to play as much, and choosy as to who they show their affection to. Male cats I find, are often very dog like. Playful, high-energy, and super affectionate physically. Will rub all over you

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
From what I’ve seen at shelters and with friends’ cats, cats who have a Siamese or Oriental look to them are always vocal and active! On the other end of the spectrum, cats with a flatter face (which, most likely comes from Persian ancestry), are some of the most relaxed kitties.

There is an interesting TCS article about this:
How To Tell Your Cat's Breed By Its Behavior

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had three part Siamese cats. One longhair with a gorgeous traditional Siamese coat was extra large, super quiet, crabby most of the time and didn’t ever move unless she had to. Her mom was short hair Siamese, dad unknown. My second looked like a tabby except for the oriental face. She had a voice but rarely used it and was very intelligent and high spirited. And my third, whose daddy was Siamese and mom was calico, also looked like a tabby except for a tiny oriental build but when she opened her mouth, which she did often it was a pure Siamese voice. She was also insanely active and smart as they come.

So I think it isn’t just what they look like but what the genes from their parents gave them.

Last edited: