What percent "outdoor" is your cat?

Does your cat prefer indoors or outdoors?

• Indoor

• Outdoor

• Likes both equally

• if you have multiple cats, you can select all 3 or just 2 depending on what applies

Results are only viewable after voting.

Imperfection

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of the 3 cats i've owned, one prefers the outdoors, one is 50/50, and one prefers inside.

The outdoor one was raised 100% indoor, so she doesn't realize how mean alley cats are. When i take her on a leash to the back (alley), sometimes she runs up to other cats, expecting them to play, but instead they growl and hiss at her. She is really naïve. But she loves outside, and has a wild personality.

The 50/50 liked being outside. She would hunt various animals. She was 100% competent to take care of herself outside. But she also liked the indoors just as much.

My favorite kitty prefers inside. She is really happy to be in the sun, and lay and roll in the driveway under the sun... but ultimately, she prefers indoors where she feels safest. She is really mean to alley cats and definitely doesn't like them.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Being in an unsafe location I made the decision for them to be strictly indoors, although two of my cats (Bourbon and Pepsi) would most probably be the ones who will try the escape route when given the chance or opportunity. My Barley is an indoor cat, because even when I accidentally leave the door open he would not attempt to get out of the house. All of my cats (except Graham) were plucked from the streets so practically they most probably grew up outdoors.

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats only go outside on harness, but even then they haven’t been super excited about outside. We are moving to a place with our own backyard, so I’m curious if they will like walks out there more once it warms up because it’s a bit less overstimulating than the lawns by our current apartment.
I feel very strongly that it’s not responsible to let cats free roam because of the increased danger to them and the impact on local ecosystems. That being said, I think supervised outdoor time on leash or in a secure catio can be great enrichment!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After my cat struggling to breath for a few weeks (vet wanted $800 just to try and diagnose) was let out, he didn't come home. We figured he died, and looked under the neighbors deck. Two days later, he struggled home, limping into the driveway. We brought him in, and he promptly died, drowning in his destroyed lungs. Apparently, I didn't know that you need to buy an indoor/outdoor cat Revolution, rather than just ordinary flea and tick meds, because Heartworm scars the crap out of cat lungs over time. Its over $20 a month and prescription only. I mean, I can't say or sure, since I didn't pay $800 for tests that wouldn't have fixed anything, but it was probably that.

Just reason #11 why having outdoor cats is a bad idea.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ruby is indoor only. She's known the outdoors, as she was brought to the shelter by someone who rescued her off the street. But since I adopted her, and she been with me, she shows no interest in wanting to go outside at all.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
All of mine started life as strays or ferals....I have never even made it to a shelter to adopt one. All are indoor and that has been a practice of mine over many years, which now includes cats who lived out their entire lives indoors and then passed on from old age or illness.

My true TNRed ferals are outside but these are cats who have no inclination to be domesticated and could not live in a house or with humans. Yes, there are risks....two weeks ago one was found on a neighbor's lawn late at night in pieces, the victim of a coyote.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine spent the first year of their lives outdoors and then after so many tragedies were forced inside and live happily now. Three inside and three now outside. (WHERE do they come from?!) An older long haired white one showed up a few days ago, so dirty and hungry, at least he has a garage to go into and food. I saw him eating side by side with Domino (little black and white) yesterday, so that is good, maybe they are too cold to fight!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 are indoor only. We live in the city and it's not safe to let them roam. Heck even out in the country I'd be worried. I will be getting a nice catio for them when we move. They still have a great quality of life for those who think being indoor only is cruel to cats. They have 4 nice sized cat trees (getting a 5th lol), tons of toys, cat hammocks, great food, Yah they are completely spoiled lol.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
All 3 have no desire to go outside. I also live in the city on a very busy street. I keep them busy. They were all stray.